Oxford shirt fabric

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Slewfoot

Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:34 pm

Greetings and hope everyone is doing well.. I was wondering what some of the nicer fabrics are for Oxford shirts currently on the market these days.

A fabric that is very soft to the touch and 100% cotton. Standard colors such as light blue, white, stripes, etc.

Not looking to spend a fortune as I wear these often and view them as borderline disposable.

Thank you!
BirdofSydney

Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:37 am

Hello,

I have been buying Oxfords from Anglo-Italian for a while now. They have a store in Marylebone and e-commerce. If you going via the latter, you may like to ask them to check the measurements, as I've had to return a few shirts with miscut sleeves.

I like the fit, which is on the slimmer side without being tight (although they will do MTO and MTM if you want a fuller fit), and the cloth, which is woven for the brand in 170gm Oxford.

The collars are a bit large, which I don't mind but 'your mileage may vary'.

If you want something fuller and more traditional (the expression 'tent-like' comes to mind'), Mercer & Sons are apparently the gold standard, making shirts which resemble vintage Brooks Brothers.

Best,

Bird
Concordia

Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:42 am

Anglo Italian looks like a good service, albeit with smaller collar sizes than I’d find useful.

I think Slewfoot was looking for actual fabric, though.
andy57

Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:56 pm

I just had three oxford shirts made up of the first time in a few years. All three (I think) are slightly different fabrics. I'll see if I can figure out what fabric was used. I'm very happy with all three (white, pink, and light blue), and I'm strongly considering ordering three more.
davidhuh

Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Dear Slew,

you find a nice selection at Acorn. I have made up a couple of them, they are quite a staple, even in summer.

Cheers, David
Slewfoot

Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Thank you for the responses thus far! Much appreciated and hope you all are well.
  • Information