The Unbuttoned First Sleeve Button

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Noble Savage

Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:09 am

Sir James Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak KCB (29 April 1803[1] – 11 June 1868), was a British soldier and adventurer who founded the Raj of Sarawak in Borneo. He ruled as the first White Rajah of Sarawak from 1841 until his death in 1868.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brooke
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sir_ ... _Grant.jpg
shredder

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:15 pm

I've seen many who unbutton one or two sleeve buttons, particularly in Italy but also pasty northern Europeans that want to look Italian. However, I don't think I've ever seen more than one who was wearing a tailor-made coat (jacket); all others were factory-made.

Whatever the historical context(s), it's just an affectation at worst, a miserable attempt at nonchalance at best. However, if it makes the practitioners happy, good on them.
Concordia

Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:32 pm

Hard-won laziness?
shredder

Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:50 pm

:D
couch

Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:14 pm

Noting the length of both Broooke's shirt and jacket sleeves (well onto the hand) and their close fit at the wrist, I wonder whether the style may have prompted leaving some buttons open to permit freedom of movement of the hand. This would be analogous to the (usually buttoned) slits in the hem of Regency-era pantaloons, which allowed the foot to pass through the very close-fitting leg opening:

Modern jacket sleeves are usually cut short and wide enough to make opening the buttons no longer functionally necessary, unless turning back the cuffs (a very rare requirement).
shredder

Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:41 am

couch wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:14 pm
Noting the length of both Broooke's shirt and jacket sleeves (well onto the hand) and their close fit at the wrist, I wonder whether the style may have prompted leaving some buttons open to permit freedom of movement of the hand. This would be analogous to the (usually buttoned) slits in the hem of Regency-era pantaloons, which allowed the foot to pass through the very close-fitting leg opening:

Modern jacket sleeves are usually cut short and wide enough to make opening the buttons no longer functionally necessary, unless turning back the cuffs (a very rare requirement).
Yep, his sleeves look a little snug.
  • Information