Shoe care in London

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
pur_sang

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:21 am

rjman wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:20 pm
pur_sang wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:36 am
a question popped into my mind, when do you throw out the shoes??

I have two pairs of EG shoes, where the top leather is a little broken where the crease from walking is... I love the shoes, can't part with them, but are they still worth re-soling?
Why not contact EG to ask if their recrafting service could repair it? It's far from cheap, but could give your shoes a new lease on life.
I usually go back to EG for re-sole, never used my local shops, always back to the factory. I have asked before, they said they cannot repair the top leather. I guess I'm sentimental, and the shoes are more comfortable with age.
Bwooster

Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:56 pm

Stephen in the lobby of the Hilton on Park Lane has done some superb work on a few pairs of my shoes, managed to bring back both a leather and a suede pair of old EGs from brink of death to like new.
alden

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:08 pm

Any updates on London shoe care spots?

Cheers
Concordia

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:41 pm

For resoling, I go back to the maker even if RTW. I might bend that rule for Alden loafers, which have come back from the factory a slightly different size. But CJ and EG do OK. Toe taps as above. Heels are a little less critical, so I will risk Timpson’s in Oxford for all-rubber models.
Bwooster

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:47 pm

I’ve found Steve who works out of the Gaziano shop to be very good. Resoled a couple pairs of old Fosters for me, added flush taps etc. Mentioned he could relast and change the heels to pitched ones too which I didn’t need but certainly sounds beyond the scope of most other repair spots I’ve come across in town.
  • Information