New project

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Stobo

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:40 am

Gentlemen,

The Lounge has been awful quiet of late, so I thought I would do my best to liven it up a little.

I'm set to begin a new project this week. The test from the new Shetland should arrive this week, and in keeping with trying to be a diligent tester, I plan on taking it straight to the tailor.

My current plan is to add an a car coat to my collection of overcoats. I loosely plan on modeling it on one of Michael's from his 3/4 coat post, but I think with flapped pockets.

Before I get going, are there details on car coats members have found that they love and would add to their coats? Particular car coat styles they would recommend considering?

I will update as the project comes along. I've also just begun working with this particular tailor in Toronto, so this should also be a good test to see if they should be recommended to other Canadian members.

Best,
J
Screaminmarlon

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:57 am

I’d suggest considering storm pockets in a SB car coat, they’re so practical and give a good line
alden

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 pm

I think the most important thing is to be clear on the use intended for the garment. If the use is principally urban or suburban and will include wear in vehicles or in and out of taxis, you may want to keep the 3/4 on the short side. It might actually wind up only slightly longer than a jacket. If the use will be in cold or inclement weather or in a more rural environment, added length and coverage might be preferred.

Access and availability to pockets may change depending on usage as well. Storm pockets are handy in almost all circumstances, while patch pockets are useful for a walking coat used in a rural setting (or for equestrian use) like the heavy tweed coat pictured above, a coat that also has large inner pockets for the transportation of larger objects.

And make sure and have the coat cut large enough to wear a sweater underneath if your climate requires warmth.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing this project develop!

Cheers
Stobo

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:25 pm

The question of function is an interesting one.
Given the lack of patterns in my day to day life in recent years, partly through frequent moving and traveling, and partly covid induced, it's hard to imagine a particular part of my day where a new coat fits in. Though that certainly doesn't seem to have any relationship with my desire for a new coat.
One area of (very) slight need is a shorter 3/4 that I can wear while popping into the car, or more commonly on a bicycle, that is an alternative to a peacoat and more elegant than an athletic/camping style down coat.
I also find the larger inside pockets quite useful, and often have a "poaching" pocket added to the inside of my coats, though more often I use this to store scarves, gloves, and hats while the coat is hung rather than transporting objects while walking. I generally dislike having much in my pockets with my overcoats as I find it distorts the lovely lines on these garments.
Stobo

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:04 pm

And the cloth has arrived

Screaminmarlon

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:33 am

:shock:
Beautiful cloth
Loden

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Dear Stobo,

I totally agree - as always - to Michael, that the use intended to the garment will be the decision to be made. As I live downtown (Vienna, Austria) with rather cold temperature from October to April, a coat shorter than a 3/4 coat would not make much sense for me, except I go for a peacot.

By the way I got the impression that he colour in the picture is a little bit greenish. Am I right?

I am looking forward to the first pictures of the coat to be sent.

All the best from Vienna

Cheers

Ingmar
Stobo

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:08 am

Loden wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:21 pm
Dear Stobo,

I totally agree - as always - to Michael, that the use intended to the garment will be the decision to be made. As I live downtown (Vienna, Austria) with rather cold temperature from October to April, a coat shorter than a 3/4 coat would not make much sense for me, except I go for a peacot.

By the way I got the impression that he colour in the picture is a little bit greenish. Am I right?

I am looking forward to the first pictures of the coat to be sent.

All the best from Vienna

Cheers

Ingmar
No green in real life to my eye - I'll try to take some better photos this week with some other colours for contrast.

Being in a Canadian climate, much of the year is too cold for a shorter tweed coat - which is why I haven't made one up till now. I've started to have enough long coats though, and now I can start filling in smaller areas of need.
Stobo

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:13 pm

A brief update
Screaminmarlon

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:23 pm

Beautiful coat! Love the collar (and the cloth too :) )
alden

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 pm

Looks great. I like the one piece collar....always chic.

The LL Gray Shetland looks very fine as well.

I have the feeling you are going to get a lot of wear from that coat! 8)
davidhuh

Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:41 pm

Dear Stobo,

this looks very promising! Great idea with the overcoat - this will be a very useful staple in your wardrobe!

Cheers, David
  • Information