The Style Quotient

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
old henry

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Uppercase commented beautifully in the above post.This is the discussion and the men and the suits once seen on The LL not so long ago. But lately it seems to have become a skinny suit /fashionista / bargain hunters forum.
Last edited by old henry on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
old henry

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:43 pm

With the amount of drape, the natural, hand sewn shoulder and notch shape...it looks like vintage A&S.

(No break on those trousers...mighty fine!)

Cheers
couch

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:50 am

Indeed, Frank, do you not suspect that the suit was made when the man was younger and a bit taller and the jacket waist did not collapse, his physique filled out the shoulders a bit more, and thus the sleeves showed a touch more cuff? In other words, a good suit with a lifetime of character, altered only if and as necessary to remain wearable? Great example.
belimad

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:18 am

old henry wrote: IMO: Here is a example of the man wearing the clothes, the clothes disappearing behind the force of the man. The suit is imperfect and not fussed over. Yet the materials are rich, old and appear well worn. The regimental tie anchors everything in tradition. The props of his home support the impression of ancient strength and ownership. Here, we see style through heritage, not artifice. There is nothing sharp, slick or shiny about this ordinary suit...which would not suit the man.
Can a man wear unremarkable clothes and yet be stylish?

SQ: Yes. True style. 10/10
In my own personal view, a man can definitely wear unremarkable clothes and yet be stylish. I imagine not everyone would agree:

old henry

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Couch, this steadfast man has a three pound billfold that he stuffs in his left inside pocket. And he has always stuffed it there and he always will stuff it there and he doesn't give a damn. That is the collapse you see. The collapse from the wallet is also making the left sleeve lower.
Here is a guy gets dressed in the morning thinking of other things. Try that sometime. And, yes,that suit could very well be an old suit of his.He doesn't even have a new suit , I bet. But if he needs one his tailor has his pattern somewhere.
I love the angle of the breast pocket. There is another photo of him sitting down with his dogs Try to find that. ( I posted on Facebook. Scroll down a bit ). His old high rise pants are so at ease. Not pulling at all. His soft tailored coat is rumpled and buttoned. It is amazing how comfortable a man he is.
uppercase

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 am

That’s Henry Somerset, the 10th Duke of Beaufort (1900-1984).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_S ... f_Beaufort
Richard3

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 am

His recently deceased son David was at least equally stylish.
  • Information