Hand crafted Sardinian Knives

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
alden

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:21 am

The great masters of Sardinia crafted these beautiful "Pattadese" hand made pocket knives:

ImageP1000037 by The London Lounge, on Flickr

Cheers
uppercase

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:00 am

Those are beautiful knives. !
Perhaps bone or horn handles?

I used to collect knives for a while there. A few custom made. Mostly not.

My father started me. He gave me a knife at around 7.
I always carried a knife and along came all of the travel restrictions, etc etc.
My habit sort of fell by the wayside.

Still, those are great looking knives.

It would be nice to reclaim some of the nice pleasures we previously enjoyed such as carrying one of those beauties.
alden

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:20 am

UC

I have been collecting some of these for the past few years and they are truly special hand crafted objects.

Anthony Bourdain did a show on the Pattada that gives a pretty good intro to the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bez-pMf8Rw

If you live in the country, a good knife like these are day to day tools. Don't leave home without one.

If you are interested I will post other pictures

Cheers
aston

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:31 am

My long departed grandfather, a Corsican, always carried a folding knife with him. I have no idea of its make or provenance, but he used it for everything from cutting string to peeling fruit.
Milo

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:47 am

Those knives are beautiful right now, and I would like to see more photos. They will look even better though when they have been used for some years!

As a kid, my first knife was my joy and treasure, and for years I always carried one. Now, walking in some cities, merely carrying a pocket knife is a criminal offense :shock:
Luca

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:26 am

But Milo... don't you seed, old chap? it's the irresistible rise of freedom!
The more restrictions and prohibitions are imposed on us, the freer we are, apparently....

:evil:
uppercase

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:26 pm

I really do not know anyone of a certain age who did not carry a pocket knife of some sort daily.
There were many slim profile knives for putting in your coat on trouser pocket.
I don't know what happened to what to me was a daily normal thing of carrying a pocket knife. And I'm no lumberjack.
Excuse me while I have a smoke.
hectorm

Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:42 pm

alden wrote:If you live in the country, a good knife like these are day to day tools. Don't leave home without one.
Opening Scene.

Bridegroom: (entering the room): Mother!
Mother: Yes?
Bridegroom: I´m away now.
Mother: Where are you going?
Bridegroom: The vineyard
Mother: Wait a minute.
Bridegroom: What is it?
Mother: Take something to eat, son.
Bridegroom: Leave it, mother. I´ll eat grapes. Give me the knife.
Mother: The knife? What for?
Bridegroom (laughing): To cut the grapes
Mother: The knife. The knife! Damn the knife. Damn all the knives. Damn the devil who created knives.
old henry

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Old Italian tailors carried knives to peal their apples and pears. They would compete to see if they could peal the fruit in one long peal. Toninno was the champ.
Those knives are beautiful. Old world stuff.
Aristide

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:44 pm

Beautiful form. How's the function?
alden

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Beautiful form. How's the function?
They are as beautiful to use. The shape of the blade is very practical for any kind of cutting work. I eat with one every night and at the dining table they are unsurpassed. I have had most of mine made with forged carbon steel, so they cut like the devil and are easy to sharpen. These are the only knives I use anymore and I am delighted with them. Like many men in Italy I use my own knife when I go to a restaurant as well. People love to see them.

Cheers
Aristide

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:04 pm

For anybody having further interest:

http://www.sardinianknives.us/
alden

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:09 pm

I am not too keen on that emerchant. I was toying with the idea of having a series made by the craftsmen I know for LL members if there were any interest. We could do a numbered series of say ten knives made by one of the best craftsmen.
Would be fun.

Cheers
challer

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:01 pm

alden wrote:I am not too keen on that emerchant. I was toying with the idea of having a series made by the craftsmen I know for LL members if there were any interest. We could do a numbered series of say ten knives made by one of the best craftsmen.
Would be fun.

Cheers
I would have much interest in this.
  • Information