Stroller suit-advice please!

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

rodes

Fri May 06, 2011 7:34 pm

I can appreciate the subtle distinction. All in all,perhaps formal day wear would be more correct for one's wedding. However,and sadly,it could be viewed as somewhat pretentious in some quarters here in the US. We tend to view the tuxedo as the ultimate in "fomal" so much so that we wear it during the day when we really would do better with the stroller. We have lost some of our sense of occasion for sure.
However,we have a few other virtues. This week especially,it felt very good to be an American.
Costi

Fri May 06, 2011 8:01 pm

rodes wrote:However,we have a few other virtues.
Many!
rodes wrote:This week especially,it felt very good to be an American.
I cannot but take your word for that... :)
cdo

Sat May 07, 2011 12:55 am

Rodes, you are right in that the DJ is nowadays seen as the 'poshest' outfit by most of the general population with its influence extending beyond its original setting. It is an easy outfit for even the most self-conscious male to wear smartly and be at ease in. Mind you, I did find it odd wearing my DJ at the request of an American friend for his mid-afternoon church wedding in England. That inconsequential point aside, it was a very enjoyable day.

- C
Alex tweed

Wed May 11, 2011 7:13 pm

As a few of you seem side tracked by the schedule, here is our proposed running order:
Ceremony around 1.30, straight into canapes/champagne and pimms as we go for photos. Wedding breakfast around 3/3.15 into speeches, jazz band starting straight after followed by another band then dj's into the night. Drinks flowing all day and night, hog roast and paella around 9.30/10.00.
As for further thoughts on attire, I may try to find a vintage tail coat and have it altered and have the trousers and waistcoat bespoke. I certainly don't think a beautifully bespoke dinner suit is 'boring'!!
rodes

Thu May 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Alex, We will all plan to be there,in our strollers of course, by 1:00.
Luca

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:57 pm

Just thought I'd share with the LL membership that at noontime, today, as I was walking up the Burlington Arcade, two gentlemen, both carrying briefcases, walked past me in the opposite direction and one was wearing a stroller / 'back lounge'.

Ah, London. 8)
hectorm

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Luca wrote: ...one was wearing a stroller......
A rare sighting indeed, Luca. As it´s also rare the person who still identifies that attire as such.
Somehow I find carrying a briefcase a bit at odds with donning a stroller, revealing in that case that it was perhaps some kind of a uniform. But maybe he was carrying important papers to be signed at a formal ceremony. :)
Luca

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:38 am

Whatever the gentleman wearing it calls his attire, it was clearly intended as a 'stroller': very dark grey SB jacket and waistcoat, 'cashmere' stripe trousers, etc.

Re. the briefcase, I think there is some confusion: in the UK the 'stroller' lasted longer as workplace attire (lawyers, bankers, etc.) than as a 'social' one. It is possible the gentleman in question works for a hotel.
hectorm

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Luca wrote: I think there is some confusion: in the UK the 'stroller' lasted longer as workplace attire (lawyers, bankers, etc.) than as a 'social' one. It is possible the gentleman in question works for a hotel.
My apologies, Luca. I didn´t make myself clear. What you state above is exactly what I meant: carrying a briefcase was a telltale sign that the stroller was more likely a workplace attire than a social morning dress. Notwithstanding, one of our fellow LL members alerted me that when you spot a stroller nowadays in London, there is a big chance it´s a Freemason on his way to a ceremony at the lodge.
BTW: Although I´ve heard some people refer to the stroller as a "Stresemann", I´m not used to the expression "back lounge" as a synonym. Any reason or source for that?
rodes

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:34 am

"Black lounge", and I would like to have seen it. I still wear mine, though more and more infrequent. Afternoon weddings, baptisms, Easter. Always get respectful glances and compliments when I do. This coat deserves a return to favor.
Luca

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:02 am

My impression is that "stroller" is the US term, "Stresemann" the German/mitteleuropean term and "black lounge" is the British term.
hectorm

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:38 pm

rodes wrote: I still wear mine, though more and more infrequent. Afternoon weddings, baptisms, Easter. Always get respectful glances and compliments when I do.
Good for you, Rodes!
I always tell the story that the best dressed guest (male or female) at my wedding was an old gentleman wearing a vintage stroller from his heyday at the diplomatic corps. This was 22 years ago. Unfortunately nowadays the only stroller to be seen around here is on Rich Uncle Pennybags.
hectorm

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Thinking of strollers, I couldn´t resist posting this one.
Noble Savage

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:09 am

hectorm wrote:Unfortunately nowadays the only stroller to be seen around here is on Rich Uncle Pennybags.
In some images, it looks like he's wearing a legitimate morning coat. Other times, he has what look like matching trousers.

Favourbrook, which call their ready-made version a dueling jacket, also recommend it be worn "with either matching trousers or houndstooth check as an elegant contrast and a simple waistcoat."

Is Rich Uncle Pennybags is doing the right thing by wearing matching trousers on occasion? Perhaps. Just as casual morning coats on occasion are worn with matching trowsers as a morning suit.

So yes, a "stroller suit" can be made.
Doug

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:40 pm

I pose a question that departs a bit from the thread thus far. While going through a Harrison Moonbeam cloth book I was taken by the black with subtle hounds-tooth pattern--one of the traditional stroller cloth patterns though in a softer texture. It seemed to me this would work well with grey trousers and turtleneck for smart casual business. The look is a take on the stroller look and would give an old stroller an extra use. This leads me to want to get a coat made from the black Moonbeam cloth. Is this a good idea?
  • Information