Dark Green bespoke blazer

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Measure Man

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:39 pm

I have a customer that wants a really dark green blazer, like the colour the Gurkha Regiment blazers are made from.

Can anyone help with suggestions who supplies a cloth like this?
Melcombe

Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:44 pm

The green is Rifle Green. (Pantone 19–0419 TPX, I think )

The same colour was used for the uniforms of the RUC, but more diplomatically termed 'bottle green'.

Minnis has a 'bottle green' barathea (370g) in its Classic II book (looks the right sort of colour, but a bit lightweight?).

Dugdale Bros have a 'racing green' blazer cloth (8732) (right weight - colour looks close but may not be quite dark enough?)

I believe that H E Box of Weymouth supply the barathea for many ready made regimental blazers (including Rifle Regiments such as the Gurkhas) , but I've no clues as to comparative quality to the likes of Dugdales etc.
Measure Man

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:17 am

Thank you for your help Melcombe it is really appreciated.

Yes we have the Dugdale bunch and the colour is just a bit light as you said, I will look into your other suggestions.

Kind regards,

Andrew.
Concordia

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:05 pm

Perhaps Steven Hitchcock could tell you what book this specimen came from. From the comment section:

livingston_andrew@stevenhitchcockbespoke can I ask who's cloth this fine Blazer is made from
stevenhitchcockbespoke@livingston_andrew Holland and Sherry
livingston_andrew@stevenhitchcockbespoke thank you
Last edited by Concordia on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
rodes

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:01 pm

While I cannot advise on the cloth, I can say that the dark green seems like a very good idea to me and one that I would consider. Conventional thinking claims that the blazer can only be dark blue. Ok, call it a sports coat and commission one in dark green. While I'm not opposed to navy and have one myself, green seems like an even better color for sports wear. Silver or pewter buttons perhaps.
hectorm

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:36 pm

rodes wrote: While I'm not opposed to navy and have one myself, green seems like an even better color for sports wear.
While I frequently wear green patterned tweed, green corduroy trousers, wooly loden and several olive garments, I have always found plain green (the solid and worsted variety of it) uneasy to wear. I would gladly wear it at the PGA Masters, though. :)
Luca

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Hectorn: I've seen some dark green ('Loden'-coloured) flannel sport coats that looked very nice (including a couple of bespoke ones at my tailor's). I would tend to agree that a very 'dry' and lustrous worsted might look a bit brash, compared to navy but the darker the green, the better, I guess.
aston

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Dark green? Alan Partridge?
hectorm

Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Luca wrote:Hectorm: I've seen some dark green ('Loden'-coloured) flannel sport coats that looked very nice......the darker the green, the better
And let´s not forget this famous dark green blazer.
lxlloyd

Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:29 am

Bateman ogden has some lovely greens. I like their elegenza cloth.
DD MacDonald

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:27 pm

hectorm wrote:
Luca wrote:Hectorm: I've seen some dark green ('Loden'-coloured) flannel sport coats that looked very nice......the darker the green, the better
And let´s not forget this famous dark green blazer.
If I recall, that Blazer from the Antonioni film is a green cord. I remember watching the film thinking, I gotta find that. Haven't thought of it for years
hectorm

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:16 am

DD MacDonald wrote: If I recall, that Blazer from the Antonioni film is a green cord.
Actually is velvet. No ribs in this one.
What a fantastic jacket, isn't it?
DD MacDonald

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:58 am

hectorm wrote:
DD MacDonald wrote: If I recall, that Blazer from the Antonioni film is a green cord.
Actually is velvet. No ribs in this one.
What a fantastic jacket, isn't it?
I'd have to see Blow Up again, but I remember thinking that it was velvet and then seeing it as needle cord when he is driving in one scene. Who knows?
alden

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:25 pm

I have a piece of overcoating cloth made ages ago that I bought because the shade of dark green was just remarkable...browns mixed with Forest green. I have never seen anything like it. I might cut a piece and send it to the mill to see what they could do with it.

Cheers
hectorm

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:10 pm

DD MacDonald wrote: I'd have to see Blow Up again, but I remember thinking that it was velvet and then seeing it as needle cord when he is driving in one scene. Who knows?
DD, here you have it. You got distracted by the Rolls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akd5fWGGAoY
  • Information