Charles Tyrwhitt shoes

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

cufflink44

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:53 pm

Any thoughts on Charles Tyrwhitt RTW shoes? They seem to have a nice selection of styles, and the prices are quite reasonable.

https://www.ctshirts.co.uk/content.aspx ... Code=Shoes
J. Gross

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:26 pm

With the usual caveat that other members are infinitely better informed, I'll say that the shoes are made by Loake, a respected but not top tier English maker. For 50% off, if you like the styling, I think you'll get a good quality goodyear welted shoe for a good price. C&J, Alfred Sargent Premier and certain Grenson offerings are more highly regarded, but so what.
maxnharry

Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:31 pm

I have two pair and am very happy with them. Loake is not the best English maker, but I think they make a shoe that is on par with any American RTW. At 50% off you are getting a decent shoe at a tremendous price.
Last edited by maxnharry on Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arkirshner

Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:46 pm

The CT calfskins are from the Loake 1880 series, Loake's top line. I have them and recommend them at their price point. They are comparable to Allen Edmonds. The other CTs are a lesser grade Loake that does not use calfskin.
I do not recommend these as I have a pair of chukkas and the leather is grain corrected and stiff.
jasstoltz

Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:18 pm

I think that the calf shoes, the suede shoes, and the waxy brown chelsea boots at half price are very good value. Where else in the US can you buy goodyear welted shoes made in Northampton for under $150? I have the suede brogues. They certainly aren't spectacular, but they are significantly nicer than what I'd find at a department store for the same price.
maxnharry

Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:27 pm

I have a pair of the suede brogues and agree that they're a great deal. You couldn't really find Northampton seconds in the US for that amount.
Wheels

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:45 am

Hello everyone. Does anyone happen to know who makes shoes for TM Lewin or have any comments about them vis-a-vis the Charles Tyrwhitt / Loake models in terms of quality and construction?

Thanks in advance, Wheels.
AnthonyJordan

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:39 pm

Wheels wrote:Hello everyone. Does anyone happen to know who makes shoes for TM Lewin or have any comments about them vis-a-vis the Charles Tyrwhitt / Loake models in terms of quality and construction?

Thanks in advance, Wheels.
All T.M. Lewin will reveal is that they are "made in India for an English shoemaker" (or words to that effect). I believe that they are true calf as opposed to the corrected grain used in most Loake ranges. Mine struck me as being of quite decent quality but had to be returned (which was handled without trouble) as they began to let in water a little through the quarters and were suffering some water/salt staining.

I haven't owned Loakes for years so can't make quality comparisons (I have now ordered a pair of 1880s - seconds - for £75 plus postage, which I thought was a remarkably good deal given their usual selling price of £130-180)

Yours,

Anthony.
maxnharry

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:50 pm

I don't know, but looking at pictures of the black monkstrap on the lewin page and comparing it to Sargent's monk, I think they could be Sargents. Next time someone calls Lewin, they should ask him.

There are only so many Northampton firms making shoes and since I suspect it is neither Green, Lobb, nor Grenson, that leaves Loake, Sargent, Tricker as the most likely suspects.
AnthonyJordan

Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:45 am

maxnharry wrote:I don't know, but looking at pictures of the black monkstrap on the lewin page and comparing it to Sargent's monk, I think they could be Sargents. Next time someone calls Lewin, they should ask him.
I did try but my contact at Lewin's (who is very helpful - he helps me get my tunic shirts even though they are not, strictly, available mail order) was only able to tell me the information I passed on above. Apparently they are under strict instructions from Head Office not to pass on the details of the maker. I quote:

"With regards to the shoes, they are not made by Grenson. They are made by an
English company in India, but our Head Office have instructed us to say that
we are not at liberty to say."
Wheels

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:32 pm

Thank you for the replies gentlemen. In the end I decided to go ahead with Tyrwhitt's calfskin Loakes. I'll see how they fare but may try the Lewin ones anyway, so that I can have a decent rotation. To date I've always worn the same pair of shoes day in day out and never understood that they were meant to last longer than a year or so. By the time I return back to home and work I will have at least three pairs of Oxfords through which to rotate. Thanks again, Wheels.
  • Information