Just how honest are London tailors

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

uppercase

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:02 pm

No, if you are in Rome , forget Milan.
Go straight to Caraceni on via campania 61b.
The finest tailor I know of.
Dr T

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:19 am

Thanks uppercase
steve buckley

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:21 pm

one dishonest tailor on windmill st beware v dissapointed and duped ,,,
chapman

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:42 am

Maybe to keep the cost down most London tailors are forced to have the garments made in Hong Kong or China or another Asian country. As for me I do ask the tailor where they make the garments, and they are quite honest about revealing where it's made from. The decision to go through with the purchase then is entirely up to the consumer.
hectorm

Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:05 am

chapman wrote:most London tailors are forced to have the garments made in Hong Kong or China or another Asian country
Are we talking bespoke here? My understanding is quite the opposite. Unless the practice has changed in the last 10-15 years, that kind of outsourcing abroad is limited only to a few big houses that mostly do MTM. For individual London tailors and the traditional London houses doing bespoke, the suits are put together in the back shop or at the most, at another London location.
Frog in Suit

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:07 pm

hectorm wrote:
chapman wrote:most London tailors are forced to have the garments made in Hong Kong or China or another Asian country
Are we talking bespoke here? My understanding is quite the opposite. Unless the practice has changed in the last 10-15 years, that kind of outsourcing abroad is limited only to a few big houses that mostly do MTM. For individual London tailors and the traditional London houses doing bespoke, the suits are put together in the back shop or at the most, at another London location.
Since a bespoke suit implies several fittings (from three to five or so, in my experience) the garment being taken apart and rebuilt between fittings, it does not make any sense to ship it back and forth to China between each try-on, without even mentioning the issues of controlling the quality of handwork performed thousands of miles away from the cutter’s eyes and having his instructions being understood, much less followed. My own tailors (Meyer & Mortimer) have a workshop in the basement (I have seen it a few times) and another one in Soho. I am certain that all members of the SRA (and all “serious” bespoke tailors, at least “bespoke” within the meaning of the act) function along the same lines.

Frog in Suit
Dr T

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:19 pm

uppercase wrote:No, if you are in Rome , forget Milan.
Go straight to Caraceni on via campania 61b.
The finest tailor I know of.
Im in Rome this month and if time permits will take up your good advice and pay them a visit. :D
uppercase

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Make the time, Dr.
And you would need to account for the time to later return to Rome to finish the fittings.

So few have had the opportunity to go to this iconic Roman tailor, you really need to go if you are in Rome and you love tailoring.

Remember, a Roman Caraceni is a low key, subdued, subtle silhouette as to be unremarkable and all but unnoticeable except to the cognoscenti. A Caraceni is a rare specimen.

What you can do right now before traveling, is to choose and buy your cloth.

Yes, Caraceni has a good selection of cloth and it is mostly Italian made.
Still, you would do well to choose beautiful, classic English cloth which will really show off the suit and bring this cloth with you to Rome.

In choosing the cloth, I would suggest that you choose cloth which is serious and dignified and something that you would like to wear for years to come in a business or elegant setting, perhaps cloth like some of the LL flannels sold at Fox.

I only say this because a classic cloth choice will best highlight the suit's virtues in my view and will provide years of pleasure and service when you want to dress your best. Of course, a Caraceni will also work beautifully as a more casual choice in the mode of la dolce vita but I do see the silhouette as more serious in demeanor than louche.

I haven't been to Caraceni Roma in years simply because I haven't travelled to Rome in a long time. So I am not up to date on what is going on there. You will need to update us all on Caraceni.

I hope that you can make it there.
C.Lee

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:46 am

uppercase wrote:...A Caraceni is a rare specimen...
Galliano Caraceni
hectorm wrote:...Based on my most recent experiences in Rome and Naples, the only recommendation -from heart and mind- I can personally make is Andrea Luparelli at Sartoria Ripense near Piazza del Popolo in Rome...
I found Andrea, his staff and the team of tailors downstairs to be extremely affable. Well worth a visit, anytime.

Regards.
Concordia

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:44 pm

I believe that SilkCity used to be a happy client of Caraceni Roma. Is he still with us?
uppercase

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Yes, Silk used Caraceni. I haven't heard from him on LL in years and years.
Dopey may be the most recent Caraceni Roma client here.
lordsuperb

Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:17 pm

Is Chris Despos the closest thing to Caraceni in the US? I've been interested in Caraceni for the longest but I have no interest in taking multiple trips to Italy to get fittings for the initial garment.
davidhuh

Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:13 pm

Gentlemen,

I'm afraid there is some confusion here about silhouettes, house styles and cutter XYZ. The best recipe in my eyes is to find a tailor one can see regularly without a big fuss and to develop a long term work relation with this man. This is not too difficult and it will show in the elegance of your clothes.

Cheers, David
lordsuperb

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:09 pm

davidhuh wrote:Gentlemen,

I'm afraid there is some confusion here about silhouettes, house styles and cutter XYZ. The best recipe in my eyes is to find a tailor one can see regularly without a big fuss and to develop a long term work relation with this man. This is not too difficult and it will show in the elegance of your clothes.

Cheers, David
There are too many pictures and blog post about various tailors that have gauged my interest in the past year. Also, it can be frustrating at times when working with one tailor and they misinterpret what you wanted. It looks like I'll have to take things slow and think about each project from here on out.
yialabis

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Very well said David !!!!!

Vassilis
  • Information