Perfumes

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Dr T

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:59 am

Thanks alexeberlin - I tried to locate the shop where i originally brought this after shave while visiting Paris -must have spent at least 2 - 3 hours. You can imagine my surprise to find it in Fortmum and Masons - in my own City!
T.K.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:43 pm

I treated myself to a bottle of lavender water by D.R. Harris recently. For those looking for something refreshing for the summer days, I recommend it highly. I splash it on every time I leave the house (I even put some on my pillow case before going to sleep).
Dr T

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:53 am

culverwood wrote:I have 3 Shay and Blue perfumes Sicilian Limes, Blood Oranges and Suffolk Lavender.

In terms of strength the Suffolk Lavender is the most long lasting though I find it has an incense smell as much as lavender. Great for the evening or weekend.
Sicilian Limes is a medium lasting fragrance with Lime as its main scent. It is a good one for work.
Their Blood Oranges I find the weakest thought it smells great initially with a summery orange scent.
Thanks Culverwood, I have just recieved my Sicilian Limes -very pleased its a far more refined smell than Trufitt and Hills Limes. Next time im in London I will visit Shay and Blue's shop and have a look at their other products. Again thanks for the recommendation. :D
Last edited by Dr T on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr T

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:53 am

Now looks whats happened. I have Shay and Blue Sicillian Lines, Blood Orange and was persuaded by my wife to buy her the Belladonna - these forums are expensive. But thanks for some very good advice.
culverwood

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Glad to help. My wife has the Atropa Belladonna too but she has pinched my Blood Oranges today. I think AB is an evening perfume.
Dr T

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Interesting to note your comment about your wife pinching your Blood Oranges. I have noticed a rapid decrease in the level of mine - I suspect I have a similar problem.
chapman

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:50 am

I took a whiff of Creed a few days ago. I might consider it later on but I'm still not done with my CK.
raykalendek

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:44 am

It isn't infrequent that I'm drawn away from my regular fragrances by a new and alluring olfactory delight; but all too often, and long before the bottle has been emptied, I've tired of it and returned to Creed scents. My most recent Creed is Green Irish Tweed, which I like well enough, but not nearly as much as Himalaya and Silver Mountain Water. Other recent contenders for the top spot are Le Labo Bergamot 22 and Frederick Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.
couch

Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:26 am

Other recent contenders for the top spot are Le Labo Bergamot 22 and Frederick Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.
I've tried a lot of vetivers (I used to like Puig's for summer, though it was powdery and light). Haven't tried Malle's, but reviews class it as "fresh" like Guerlain's, which, though I respect it, has too much citrus for my taste in vetivers. Las summer I encountered Roja Dove's Vetiver Extrait, which is hands down the best vetiver-based scent I've come across, even given the complexity of the formula. Too bad about the silly Swarovski crystals on the cap--and the astronomical price (more than what I paid for vintage Tabac Blond pure parfum from the urn in 2006). It's quite potent, but even so I can't justify what it would cost to keep it in stock. Others who might be in a position to do so should try it if they like masculine vetivers.
Gido

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:02 am

Couch, this topic has been discussed before. Start from page 13, then check page 12 and 11 too. There might be more, I don't remember, but that's basically all you need to know.
culverwood

Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:15 am

I am wearing Vetivier Extraordinaire by Dominique Ropion for Fredric Malle now and I find it to be too subtle for me, perhaps I do not have enough on.
raykalendek

Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:32 am

That's my only negative criticism of VE. While a re-application or two may be necessary, moreso during the colder and drier season, its appeal is splendid.
couch

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:16 am

Gido wrote:Couch, this topic has been discussed before. Start from page 13, then check page 12 and 11 too. There might be more, I don't remember, but that's basically all you need to know.
Thanks, Gido. I recall that discussion. As regards vetivers, your view seemed to be that the only contender was vintage Guerlain. It's been several years since I sampled it, so I'm not sure whether I was smelling the vintage or reformulated versions. But at that time the citrus component was just too strong and persistent for me. Does the vintage have a notable citrus note?

What do you think of the Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait? and the Malle?
Gido

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:16 am

Couch, you have obviously smelled the reformulation. Try to find the original masterpiece. It's a 10, the second best would be an 8 and that's exceptional. The current edition (I would give it a 7) comes in a bottle that looks like the original bottle, but all the details (cap, nozzle, borders on label) are in silver and the juice has a pale greenish colour whereas with the original everything is gold. Don't worry if the bottle comes without cap, most stock that still exist are abandoned tester bottles and they never had a cap.

And about that citrus note. People complain about these things, citrus note here, tobacco note there. I can't really disagree, things are out of proportion. You could think of the reformulated Vetiver as a pale caricature of the real thing. For the original masterpiece, such comments would simply make little sense, as if someone said about a famous Rembrandt that it contains too much white paint.
Aristide

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:15 pm

Gido wrote:Couch, you have obviously smelled the reformulation. Try to find the original masterpiece. It's a 10, the second best would be an 8 and that's exceptional. The current edition (I would give it a 7) comes in a bottle that looks like the original bottle, but all the details (cap, nozzle, borders on label) are in silver and the juice has a pale greenish colour whereas with the original everything is gold. Don't worry if the bottle comes without cap, most stock that still exist are abandoned tester bottles and they never had a cap.

And about that citrus note. People complain about these things, citrus note here, tobacco note there. I can't really disagree, things are out of proportion. You could think of the reformulated Vetiver as a pale caricature of the real thing. For the original masterpiece, such comments would simply make little sense, as if someone said about a famous Rembrandt that it contains too much white paint.
What does the packaging on the "original" formulation look like?
  • Information