Style Icons in Films - Please share some of your favorites.

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
theoldesouth

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:03 am

Many of us admire the 'style sense' of various film actors, perhaps even considering some of them style icons.

Would love to know which actors you admire for their charisma and sense of style and which of their movies, in particular, standout in your minds as 'best' showcasing these qualities?

I've been watching lots of classic movies lately, most recently Astaire in Funny Face and The Pleasure of His Company and Bogart in Barefoot Contessa.

Lots of Cary Grant movies, too.

I could use some suggestions as to what to watch next. :wink:
hectorm

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:40 pm

There are so many.......
What about Charles Boyer in "Love Affair?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKijBENJ78
A superb wardrobe and what is more important, great style all around. Makes Toni Servillo in "La Grande Bellezza" look like a wannabe.
theoldesouth

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:05 am

Hello H,

Thanks for the reply. I'll make a point of watching the Boyer film ASAP. Thanks, much, for the link.

Haven't caught Toni's movie as of yet, but will soon, out of curiosity.

Thanks, again, friend. :)

If anything else pops up on your screens, chaps, please let me know.
Miles Messervy

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:58 pm

One of my style icons (maybe not as much for clothes, but rather for charisma and, in particular, his voice) is Jeremy Irons. Style-wise, I'd recommend his early period pieces, such as the magnificent TV adaptation of Brideshead Revisited, and the French-German production of Swann in Love, and his aristocratic Claus von Bulow in Reversal of Fortune.
hectorm

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:12 pm

theoldesouth wrote: Haven't caught Toni's movie as of yet, but will soon, out of curiosity.
Actually the movie itself is brilllant, and it´s much more worthwhile to watch than Servillo´s play-boy all-over-the-rainbow jackets.
Miles Messervy

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:42 pm

For me, the best of Servillo's outfits in the film is in the scene where he's doing push-ups with a wafer-thin straw hat.
theoldesouth

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 am

Dear Miles, great suggestions, thank you.

I really do need to make a point of watching Servillo's movie soon.

Thanks, you two. :)
theoldesouth

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:46 pm

Beat The Devil, with Humphrey Bogart, Gina Lollobrigida, Robert Morley and others.

A quirky, fun movie with lots of stuff of sartorial interest, including a scene wherein Bogie's running through a rack of his ties to find the perfect match to his outfit!

Catch it! :)
HristoStefanov

Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:53 pm

I like the suits in The Rope (1948). Maybe because it is one of the first colour movies.
And I like the DB suits of Raymond Massey in The Fountainhead (1949)
theoldesouth

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Another two movies for us to watch, agreed, HS!

Color adds so much to the experience, making it easier to study details in ensembles and perhaps facilitating a better sense of the wearer's taste.

Thank you for the recommendations. :)
theoldesouth

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Three more color movies of interest, all showcasing Fred Astaire's sartorial style, are Let's Dance, The Barkleys of Broadway and The Pleasure of His Company (just a bit of unpleasant racial characterization in this one, sadly). Superb dancing in the first two, with a spot of it in the third, too. ...Streamed on Amazon. :)
ismailalmurtadza

Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:32 am

HristoStefanov wrote:I like the suits in The Rope (1948). Maybe because it is one of the first colour movies.

I watched The Rope again and again.the brown SB peak lapels(worn by one of the murderer)was simply beautiful.Ofcourse,Jimmy Stewarts 3pc can not be ignored too.

murtadza
HristoStefanov

Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:49 am

ismailalmurtadza wrote:
HristoStefanov wrote:I like the suits in The Rope (1948). Maybe because it is one of the first colour movies.

I watched The Rope again and again.the brown SB peak lapels(worn by one of the murderer)was simply beautiful.Ofcourse,Jimmy Stewarts 3pc can not be ignored too.

murtadza
And I especially like the double breasted suit on John Dall. :-) All of them wear great suits.
theoldesouth

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:15 pm

More stylish Gary Cooper…

Love in the Afternoon. (In color.)

These movies really are a treasure trove!!
HristoStefanov

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:07 pm

I just watched Live and Let Die (1973) with Roger Moore.
Such a great collection of 70s suits and jackets. Featuring crazy lapels, crazy textured fabrics, double sided suit jackets and stunning fit(of the suits that wears Roger Moore).
  • Information