The 'Dark Heart'? I think not.

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Melcombe

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:36 am

I found this rather touching. It's a 'documentary' (ok, an advert in very oblique form), but the spirit of these fellows is greatly to be admired.

What it's about : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapeurs

The guy in the kilt deserves a knighthood.
Tutumulut

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:57 am

Dear Melcombe

Thank you so much for sharing. I had read an article about the Sapeurs before, but here they become more alive.

F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S.! (sorry for the shouting, but couldn't help myself :D )

Very stylish indeed and the philosophy behind it indeed touching. In the part of the world where I live the common colour for mens clothing is 'drab'. This is quite the opposite, isn't it?

T
Russell

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:32 am

I loved the comment:

"If two people have the same suit it's awkward - it's like a football team".

Aside from that - a good message in the video for a Sunday morning.
davidhuh

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Dear Melcombe,

thank you, what a wonderful film! You just made my Sunday 8)

Cheers, David
Luca

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Without wishing to stoop to the condescending "orientalism" of a European who romanticises the exotic, it strikes me that these Gentlemen (with a capital "G") embody all that is fine about male dandyism and a purposeful, studied yet spontaneous, genuine elegance. I find myself inspired by them. The short film is beautifully produced, too.
couch

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:35 am

Indeed, it's not about Orientalism in Edward Said's sense at all. And purposeful is the key word. The fact that these fellows are making their statements in the face not only of challenging economic and physical conditions but also of globalized downscale-casual norms of dress in their country is indeed inspiring. Maybe we in the developed world could worry less about whether we're the only person in a tie at a good restaurant.
Luca

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:01 pm

couch wrote: Maybe we in the developed world could worry less about whether we're the only person in a tie at a good restaurant.
YES! You've got that spot-on, in my opinion. To shift the figurative social goalposts one inch, the minority has to be willing, at least outside of commercial exigencies, to make strong statements.

It makes me more pessimistic, in a way, when I read on classical menswear interest sites (which I'd call the "sartorial 1%") about the "dangers" of wearing anything clearly out of the current norm than the fact that the "sartorial 99%" looks gaudy or scruffy. The 99% will eventually follow, but they need to be led.
bestsummerever

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Thank you, Melcombe. Advertisement or not, this video is also a good reminder to not take one's style too seriously and to reflect the environment in one's dress.

These gentlemen's kits may be a nice contrast to the dusty roads of Brazzaville, but they often complement the vibrant colors of the buildings and flora in their surroundings.
soren

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:08 pm

couch wrote:Indeed, it's not about Orientalism in Edward Said's sense at all.
Agree, though maybe more a form "exotic Otherness" in Lynn Doty-sense (never thought I should use this outside of campus :roll:)

Cheers,
Soren
hectorm

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 pm

bestsummerever wrote: This video is also a good reminder to not take one's style too seriously and to reflect the environment in one's dress.
These gentlemen's kits may be a nice contrast to the dusty roads of Brazzaville, but they often complement the vibrant colors of the buildings and flora in their surroundings.
Both, the environment in which they live and the philosophy in their hearts is what makes their way of dressing Stylish (with capital S).
Do you see the contrast with the colorful chaps at Pitti Uomo, for instance?
Luca

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:40 am

hectorm wrote:Both, the environment in which they live and the philosophy in their hearts is what makes their way of dressing Stylish (with capital S).
Do you see the contrast with the colorful chaps at Pitti Uomo, for instance?
No, I don't see an essential difference; just differences of degree.
It certainly must take more effort, more dedication to dress well in a developing country than in one of the centres of fashion but in both cases I see men who refuse to dress to the average, to go unnoticed, to be sensible and predictable.

It's exactly what I meant by "exoticism": the Western habit of endowing some practice, person or object with greater or superior meaning due simply to its "otherness". I think it's contraddictory to deprecate rich, white dandies ous while praising poor (?), black dandies as admirable.

I think they are both decorative and inspiring, though the latter, by dint of greater effort, in my opinion deserve greater praise.
Miles Messervy

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:02 pm

It might be some difference in degree, as Luca points above, but I gather some element of poetry on how these chaps strive to inject some beauty in an otherwise squalid reality, amidtst the ravages of war and poverty, that I fail to aprehend in the blunt pageantry of Pitti. Could it be a mere Western romanticisation of the otherness? I don't know...
hectorm

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Miles Messervy wrote:... but I gather some element of poetry on how these chaps strive to inject some beauty in an otherwise squalid reality, amidtst the ravages of war and poverty, that I fail to aprehend in the blunt pageantry of Pitti.
Good, MM! I think you have managed to see something beyond mere images of men who dress in a colorful manner. It is not just "men who refuse to dress to the average, to go unnoticed, to be sensible and predictable¨. There is more. You have considered their external context as well as their internal motivation. Therefore you can judge them better without falling in the possible contradiction that Luca mentioned regarding judging rich and white vs black and poor. I don´t think we can ever get rid of our weltanschauung but on occasions at least we can try to be more informed and defuse part of our romanticism.
  • Information