Fortnum and Mason

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Cooked

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Today I have received an email from Fortnum and Mason inviting me to enter a competition to win a hamper. A couple of weeks ago they sent me a booklet in the post advertising their christmas selection. I have been a customer of theirs for years (I suppose I gave them my details at some point along the way), but never before have they felt the need to promote themselves like this. I read they are opening a branch in St Pancras and I believe I've spotted a concession at Heathrow. I fear this might be the beginning of the end for another lovely London institution. It faired perfectly well for centuries without hawking itself about all over the place, no doubt providing a perfectly comfortable living for its owners and employees, but is it now succumbing to the modern expand or die corporate mentality?

They used to have quite a nice menswear department upstairs, but this was lost in the recent makeover. I still have a nice field jacket made by Schneiders of Salzburg that I bought there nearly twenty years ago.
Scot

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Cooked, you're just trying to cheer us up.
Cooked

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Yes sorry should put some sort of warning that my post was mostly moaning!
Manself

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm afraid that I have nothing to offer to lighten the mood!

Num-nums, as we refer to it in my family, seems sadly lost to the tourists. In a decade that's defined by a hitherto unseen interest in food the shop seems content to offer a Downton Abbey vision of Britain that probably shifts a lot of attractively packaged tea and jam, but which feels like a lost opportunity. I suppose the 21st century version of Fortnum's is Borough Market.
charles

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:37 pm

The women's' scent department is pretty spectacular, rivalled only by Liberty, and a good place to get the kind of smells not stocked by more mainstream emporia. That said , when I went recently to get Mrs Charles some Annick Goutall stuff she likes ( Ninfeo Meo)..they said they'd severely contracted their stock of the many varieties ( as I know to my financial cost from many previous visits to F and M) of this brand. A great shame. I agree that the store has become a caricature of itself.
The Xmas decoration department is especially depressing as everything costs £18.50.
Rob O

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:30 pm

We won a F&M hamper last Christmas and were dismayed at the quality of the Christmas cake and biscuits. Mass produced rubbish, beautifully packaged. Maybe OK for passing trade but definitely not worthy of loyalty.

Edit >> maybe the quality of the hamper items were deliberately sub-par and I'm missing out on the mainline quality...I'll never find out.
Luca

Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:29 pm

While in many, many ways London still has to offer a quantity and quality of elegant retail unrivalled in the world (often in wonderful period buoldings), the long-standing 'luxury' quarters are becoming ever more "blingified"; catering to the crassest (and richest) of the nouveau riche. I was in Beauchanp Place on Sunday and a very nice pub that had long been far more elegant than the average boozer (being in Knightsbridge) but also rather traditional and with a good food selection had its decor turned into a cheap night-club look. Positively dreadful. :evil:
chelsea

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:46 am

I have long held the view that the time to visit Fortnum and Mason is in early January, from around the 5th, after most of the Christmas/New Year tourists have left London. The shop significantly reduces the price of some Christmas decorations. Some years ago I bought a £500 box of crackers for £125. They make wonderful (and easy) Christmas decorations. Needless to say the crackers I use for Christmas lunch are much much cheaper and much less beautiful.
Last January I purchased some Christmas tree decorations reduced to £7.50 each.

chelsea
culverwood

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:58 am

I can never stop myself buying Christmas decorations at Fortnums I have already bought half a dozen there this year to add to my stock. In fact I can't stop myself buying Christmas decorations at Tesco, Selfridges, Stockman, Lladro or any other shop I go into.
lxlloyd

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:02 pm

You may just have destroyed my childhood. :shock:

(I've been on the continent too long to have made it to Fortnums for years)
Sammyo77

Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:52 am

Fortnums appears to be downgrading itself rapidly.

My father and I both noticed the quality of tea blends slipping. The first floor cafe has abolished its traditional Austro-Hungarian cake selection (no more Esterhazy) and replaced it with cupcakes and the like. This week I received an email offering tea at half price.

A shame because from time to time it has been the best department store in London (certainly when it was at its best it was better than Liberty).
  • Information