Bespoke in Los Angeles?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

cufflink44

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:10 pm

Greetings, Gentlemen.

As a new registrant to LL, I'm looking forward to benefiting from your collective experience and erudition.

My first question concerns my hometown, Los Angeles. I'm considering taking the plunge towards my first bespoke suit. But La-La Land is not noted for its denizens' devotion to timeless, elegant men's fashion. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a first-rate tailor in the Los Angeles environs--near the level, say, of Anderson & Sheppard--or even if such a thing exists here. I suspect I may have to look further afield to find what I want, but close to home would, of course, be more convenient.

All the best,
Peter
manton

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:12 pm

There is only one: Giacomo Trabalza. He is the real deal, born and trained in Italy. He cuts everything himself, and everything is made in-house. I have stuff from him from 10 years ago. It is not A&S by any means. His preferred look is more Roman. But he toned it down for me, and would for you too if you asked.
cufflink44

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:00 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Manton. I just googled Giacomo Trabalza and found that some people mention Jack Taylor in the same breath. Could I ask your opinion of him?

Peter
manton

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:14 pm

The stuff is flashy and not for me. But what really bugs me is that, way back when (I think 1995), Taylor told me that he is a trained tailor, and although he does not sew anymore he cuts. Well, others have since been told (by him) that he was never trained as a tailor and can't sew. Then he told that to the LA Times. That sort of ticked me off.

Giacomo is the real deal, and somewhat cheapter to boot.
iammatt

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:18 pm

Jack Taylor is quite a character. My experience with his store is that they do very little actual bespoke (if any), but they put very flashy details on almost finished hand-made Italian clothing. I have seen people buy jackets and have the pockets made with all sorts of contrast stitching, saddle stitching put on the shoulders, relined with loud silks etc. They almost give the look of more custom than custom.

That being said, if you are in LA, the place is worth visiting. It is part of the sartorial history of Los Angeles. The service is very friendly, and they are proud (rightfully so) of their connection to Hollywood and Beverly Hills.
Mark Seitelman

Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:09 pm

I concur that Mr. Taylor is a character. He is the last sartorial link to the Hollywood of the late 1950's and 1960's. Cary Grant was a customer.

I think that it's evident that Mr. Taylor is not a tailor. He has tailors under his employment. His background is sales, and I believe that he used to work for GGG clothiers.

On my walks in Beverly Hills I found a tailor on a side street called, I believe, Gary. I think that his shop is on Brighton Way off of Beverly. It appears to be a real tailoring establishment with simple decor.
Mark Seitelman

Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:15 pm

An off the topic note:

One block from Jack Taylor is Anto, the shirtmaker. I have visited and talked to Ken, and I am most impressed with the operation. I have been very tempted by the bolts and stack uppon stack of cottons in the front room.
iammatt

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:36 pm

Mark Seitelman wrote:I concur that Mr. Taylor is a character. He is the last sartorial link to the Hollywood of the late 1950's and 1960's. Cary Grant was a customer.

I think that it's evident that Mr. Taylor is not a tailor. He has tailors under his employment. His background is sales, and I believe that he used to work for GGG clothiers.

On my walks in Beverly Hills I found a tailor on a side street called, I believe, Gary. I think that his shop is on Brighton Way off of Beverly. It appears to be a real tailoring establishment with simple decor.
Unfortunately, Gary's shop is no longer there. It was on wilshire, about three blocks down from the Beverly Wilshire heading east. He was a good tailor, but the kind who liked to do a lot of extra work on alteration that did not need to be done.

[Edit] I think it moved to Brighton in which case Mark would be correct.
Last edited by iammatt on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cufflink44

Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:08 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have a better idea now of what's available here in town.

Peter
MK

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:36 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I am having Jack make me a suit and since there seems to be very little information about him here, I will let you know how it works out.

There will be an interview with Jack along with photos of the process in Classic Style Magazine in November.
MK

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Mark Seitelman

Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:16 pm

MK, I look forward to your article.

I do not know much about "Classic Style." What is it?
Cufflink79

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:15 pm

Mark Seitelman wrote:MK, I look forward to your article.

I do not know much about "Classic Style." What is it?

That makes two of us :wink: . I have never heard of the publication.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
encooper

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:46 pm

Here's a link. Nov. 2006 is the premier issue. It appears to be related to the Fedora Lounge in some way.

http://www.classicstylemag.com/
MK

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:36 am

The magazine has been launched. It is in some stores now but it will be in every Barnes & Noble in America in February.

Enjoy!
  • Information