Shaving soap

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Melcombe

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 pm

I keep coming back to Proraso - and lately the sandalwood version. I think that double-edged razors do require careful preparation of the beard, possibly more so than when using the modern cartridge multi-blade offerings.
rodes

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:00 am

The D.R. Harris seems in some favor. Has anyone tried their after shave milk?
robert_n

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:18 am

@ Melcombe:
I prefer to use the Japanese style Tamahagane steel razors, and as with all traditional shaves, the preparation is at least as important as the shaving. Before lathering up with the brush, I wash my face with cleanser or soap, as whiskers soften up quicker without sebum. For the lathering, I like the Savile Row #3424 , and also the Shavemac "Powerful" line, the latter in view of my thick and wiry stubble.
Rob O

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:37 pm

I purchased some of the vaunted D R Harris Arlington shaving soap and can attest to the sophistication of the perfume and quality of the ingredients. It lathers up beautifully and makes for a hugely enjoyable shave. I passed by the Santa Maria Novella boutique in Burlington arcade and chalked it down for a future excursion. I must say that the façade of the Sta Maria store is ridiculously imperious and all of the product is placed behind the counter, discouraging browsers. Nothing is priced. I'm not an expert but that usually means the product is not being marketed in an optimal way, high quality or no.

Man at C&A

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:30 am

After reading this topic, I tried the Arlington. My darling wife told me in no uncertain terms that it made me smell 'like an old man' and strongly suggested that I didn't buy another tube once it was used up. This was fine with me, as to be honest my assessment was that my modern mass-market 'King of Shaves' gel gave a better shave.

Apologies for injecting a philistine note in to the discussion.
Rob O

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Hee hee, women are the ultimate arbiters! My wife thought it smelt very good, although I used the soap which is probably subtler. Anyway, at 43 I'm knocking on the door of old age! :oops:
Costi

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Man at C&A wrote:My darling wife told me in no uncertain terms that it made me smell 'like an old man'
Hmmmm....
Costi

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Rob O wrote:I must say that the façade of the Sta Maria store is ridiculously imperious and all of the product is placed behind the counter, discouraging browsers. Nothing is priced. I'm not an expert but that usually means the product is not being marketed in an optimal way, high quality or no.
Rob, in all (few) SMN shops, products are either behind counters or behind showcase glass. It encourages customers to talk to the shop assistants and ask for... assistance :) I believe they would be most happy to do so and make for an interactive, rich experience, rather than solitary browsing. They can provide a lot more (useful) information than the simple packaging of SMN products which doesn't explain much.
Try the products. You can't possibly be disappointed.
davidd

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 pm

rodes wrote:The D.R. Harris seems in some favor. Has anyone tried their after shave milk?
I've used Arlington for several years, and find that both the shaving soap and deodorant are wonderful, and love the scent of both. The aftershave is pleasant, but neither astringent nor soothing and the scent lasts for only a short while; and the aftershave milk is similar - pleasant but quite 'thin', so that it neither moisturises nor acts as an aftershave cologne, at least not one where the scent lasts for more than 30 minutes or so. I tend to use both/either on the occasions I shave before going to bed (to save having to rush at the start of the day), as the subtle scent is a pleasant one to fall asleep with.

A concomitant question .. when in the day do loungers tend to shave, and does it make a difference to the quality of the shave?

davidd
rodes

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:29 am

davidd,
This is an interesting question that I have never thought about until your asking. I routinely shave in the morning out of habit. Actually I prefer shaving in the early evening when there is more time to savor the experience.
PKL

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 pm

I love Musgo Real - it is not a soap but a creme, however I think it still counts. Apart from that I got two Taylor's (lemon&lime and sandalwood), Proraso, Knize Ten, Valobra shaving stick, Valobra almond, Arko shaving stick, Russian Everest..... the list is long! :D
robert_n

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 am

@ davidd:

I personally shave as soon as I rise. I find comfort in this routine; the aftershave stimulates the brain for a rapid progression to work-level consciousness. I am loathe to forgo the peace and quiet that divides the slumber world from the quotidian.

That said, from a strictly mechanical point of view shaving is best left till after breakfast, when the facial muscles have acquired day-time tone.
davidd

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Like 'robert_n', I find that shaving in the morning (but not straight out of bed) gives me the best result, but sadly, the pressures of the daily grind rarely alows me time to even get the water running hot enough, let alone spend time in the delights of the blade. Thus, I usually shave in the evening - as per 'rodes', when there's a bit more time..... but find that going out straight from work the following evening means that I feel like I needed to shave again before doing so (and I find that neither my face nor my aesthetic sense benefits from the application of an electric razor which might form a stop-gap solution).
I love the idea of emulating the barber's shop in applying a hot towel before shaving, but lacking an autoclave, can never get the temperature right - if the towel is hot enough to work, then it's having been soaked in water which makes it too hot to wring out!
Whilst talking about shaving, can I put in a good word for Merkur from whom I bought my razor. Having used it for about two years, the shaft which runs through the handle allowing the 'butterfly' head to be opened, broke (where it joins the head). Having contacted the company, they shipped a replacement part from Germany, the same day, and at no cost ... a service I can't fault.

davidd
Naples or London?

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:24 pm

I would echo Costi's comments regarding SMN shaving cream. I have previously used Trumpers, Taylors etc as well as more available supermarket brands such as King of Shaves. Santa Maria Novelli is a revelation. Yes, it seems more expensive than some alternatives, however the jar is large and mine has lasted almost 10 months. On anyones scale, the quality vs value of this product is very good. Try it - I hope that you won't be disappointed. I use a double edge razor, but flirt with the concept of a single edge......perhaps one day!
robert_n

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 pm

@Naples or London:

If you can't be bothered mastering sharpening or stropping a straight razor, the next best thing is a KAI straight. I prefer the traditional, non-folding, Japanese style, which I find easier to use and quicker, once mastered. I've got a Feather straight razor, which I like less, and I use KAI blades in that, too. The Feather blades are just too sharp, and tend to leave the odd blood spot.

I could never go back to ordinary razors, which don't have the same exfoliating properties as straight.
http://kai-ind.co.jp/en/products/groomi ... azors.html
  • Information