Tweed for cycling

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Taller

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Teflon-coated tweed? :shock: You pulling my leg, Costi? :D
I must confess to a weak spot for the adventurous products of Dashing Tweeds, but like all the others' it's all rather lightweight...

Bart
Screaminmarlon

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:48 pm

As noted in other threads, the excellent Lovat Mill produces teflon coated tweed
alden

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 pm

There will be some new tweed ideas coming out soon for Fall 2012. We could certainly include a good stout one to be made with a tefloncoating. :D

Cheers
davidhuh

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:30 pm

Taller wrote:Teflon-coated tweed? :shock: You pulling my leg, Costi? :D
I must confess to a weak spot for the adventurous products of Dashing Tweeds, but like all the others' it's all rather lightweight...
Bart
Dear Bart,

Dashing Tweeds do great stuff, especially for bikers. Their cloth is elegant, contemporary and functional. LL cloth is from a different planet - more traditional perhaps, cloth you would not really get elsewhere. As I said, I could imagine the taupe herringbone for your purpose, perhaps in a cut similar to a shooting coat, perhaps with action back?

Now the teflon coated tweed Costi is mentioning: indeed, something nice to have. I commissioned a beautiful raglan a few months ago on such material from Lovat Mill - pictures yet to make and post. Now if Michael comes up with an LL version, I could hardly resist another one 8)

Cheers, david
Costi

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:06 am

Taller, pulling your sleeve, not your leg :)
Taller

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Would teflon-coated tweed be what Lovat calls 'teviotex'? I only knew this type of teflon as 'GoreTex' - in very very bright colours :twisted:
Lovat keeps a very low profile on the net as you may know; the best source of information I can find is Bookster Tweed (www.tweed-jacket.com. Their MTM moleskin high-rise trousers look tempting, too).
I do my city biking on an old-fashioned upright city bike, so I won't be needing an action-back, I'm glad to say: I need a more versatile coat.

What holds me back in using the Taupe Herringbone is a feeling of regret in 'sacrificing' this cloth to an overcoat, after having been looking forward for some months now to another great jacket (after the Corn Herringbone)...
So you can imagine my relief upon hearing Michael's bugle call, coming to the rescue with the pre-announcement of some more tweedy goodies.... :D

Cheerio,

Bart
Russell

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Taller wrote:Would teflon-coated tweed be what Lovat calls 'teviotex'? I only knew this type of teflon as 'GoreTex' - in very very bright colours :twisted:
Taller,
The Teflon treatment isn’t like Gore-Tex in any way.

The Teflon is basically sprayed on to the outer face of the tweed (or any fabric) – whereas Gore-Tex is a very thin membrane which is normally bonded to the inside face of the main fabric (generally a synthetic one) or bonded on to a carrier lining sandwiched between the main outer fabric & a normal lining.

The Teflon (or silicon) treatment won’t affect the breathability of a fabric as it doesn’t seal any spaces between fibres or the main weave. The Teflon waterproofs the outer fibres to some degree but its main effectiveness is making the water run off before it has time to soak in.
Regards
Russell
Taller

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Aha... Most illuminating! Thank you, Russell. I gather it doesn't affect the cloth's hand too much?

Bart
Man at C&A

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:59 pm

How robust is the Teflon treatment? Presumably it will wash and wear off with use. Can the end-user reproof the coat?
gherrmann

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:47 pm

on a somewhat related note, I tend to think that the herringbone shetland is a bit too light and springy/spongey textured to serve well as an overcoat, but I could of course be wrong.
Russell

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Taller,

When applied to a sturdy close woven tweed I've not noticed any effect on the 'hand' although I wouldn't be recommending a Teflon version of the LL Etna cashmere.

To echo Gherrmann - personally I wouldn't use the a Shetland tweed (like the taupe) to make a long lasting windproof overcoat, the tighter woven Cheviot tweeds are better (in my opinion). I think your original intention is preferable for the taupe herringbone, it will make into a great sportscoat.

I'm going to be very interested to see what Michael comes up with as regards a LL Teflon tweed.

Regards
Russell
Berwick

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 am

Regarding tweeds, I have been looking for a long time for a really robust tobacco/salt and pepper donegal, heavy with lots of coloured and white flecks and surface texture. I remember Paul Costelloe making a RTW suit like this in 1981. Not seen anything like it since.
rogiercreemers

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:38 am

Have you looked at the P&H thornproof bunch? One of my mainstay sports coats uses that.
Taller

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Thank you Rogier, yes, I did see the P&H Thornproof bunch. At 560 grams (20 oz) they seem to be somewhat heavy for what I'm looking for, but not by too much... so they're contenders. And I must say that from the eighteen samples shown, there are ten I would't mind owning.... Lovat also makes some darn good-looking heavier (teflon, even) tweeds, but at 640 grams (22 oz) I have to pass.
(Typing this I was interrupted by a courier delivering a jacket's length of blue linen.... :D I may go cold this winter but I'm determined to be ready for summer. :wink: )
But first let's see what our local magician comes up with....

Bart
Last edited by Taller on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cathach

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Taller wrote:Would teflon-coated tweed be what Lovat calls 'teviotex'? I only knew this type of teflon as 'GoreTex' - in very very bright colours :twisted:
Lovat keeps a very low profile on the net as you may know; the best source of information I can find is Bookster Tweed (http://www.tweed-jacket.com. Their MTM moleskin high-rise trousers look tempting, too).
I do my city biking on an old-fashioned upright city bike, so I won't be needing an action-back, I'm glad to say: I need a more versatile coat.
Just thought I'd let you know that according to my information the 32oz twill overcoating from HE Box is also teflon coated. Its available in black, navy, green and red as far as I'm aware.
  • Information