Bed Linen

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
cathach

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Amen to that.

For those far away from the various Meccas of tailoring any seamstress/alterations tailor should be able to make unstructured garments like that provided you can supply the cloth and they're willing to take on the work.

Another LL member has this post on having boxers made for him http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... =4&t=10824 . I plan to emulate him post haste, there are also some great suggestions on what to do about the waistband that may solve the perennial problem of elastics being too tight/saggy over time.
robert_n

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:32 am

http://www.fergusonsirishlinen.com/

I get my linen sheets here (the natural, unbleached variety). I use the same material to have linen pyjamas and boxers made up. I never bother ironing the sheets, too redolent of Upstairs, Downstairs. I use them all year round.
Twain2

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:10 pm

I would like to ask Mr Aldens opinion about the traditional, italian cotton and linen mix waffle weave bath towels. I find them very elegant and I'm currently looking at towels from a firm called Busatti. I'd be interested to hear if you have any other recommendations.
cathach

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 am

The waffle weave is also known as 'huckabuck', personally I'd go for the 100% linen fabric. I don't see what a cotton element would add to the fabric. The all linen fabric would be stronger and wear longer.
alden

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:08 pm

I would like to ask Mr Aldens opinion about the traditional, italian cotton and linen mix waffle weave bath towels. I find them very elegant and I'm currently looking at towels from a firm called Busatti. I'd be interested to hear if you have any other recommendations.
Decorating and outfitting a home in Italy is truly like being a kid in a candy store. It maybe a nightmare to build or rebuild a house! :evil: But decorating one is a dream.

Busatti is excellent as is Zucchi. It is hard to go wrong.

Your post has led to me to imagine why the Italians are so strong in this field. I suppose most people have a house to live in while Italians seem to live to have a great house. The attachment to the home is probably stronger than say in America. And homes are rarely sold but passed onto to following generations.

When you look at Houzz or other blogs and websites dedicated to interior decoration, so much of what you see is pure kitsch, overloaded, wasteful of the eye's attention. The great Italian home is so much more natural, open, colorful, almost Japanese. And this quality is found in their cooking, great products assembled as naturally and simply as possible.

Sound familiar? :D

Cheers
MTM

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:40 pm

I have a set of linen sheets from Linoto that I've been very pleased with. Have probably used the same set for 2/3 of the year for the past four years. Soft but very sturdy.
marburyvmadison

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Is linen so much better than cotton? I use sheets that are 1200 TC from, sighs, Sheridian, a commercial bed sheet provider, and find that they severely handicap me -- at least when I'm trying to get work done in the room. If linen is better, I might get one to try.
robert_n

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:44 am

@ marburyvmadison.
Try Irish linen teatowels and if you don't think they dry significantly better than cotton, then you've saved your money. I loosely wrap my parsley, mint and other herbs in a linen teatowel in a sealed plastic bag for storage in the refrigerator, so absorbent is the fabric. The only downside I can see is that linen trousers wear in the seat and knees slightly more quickly than cotton.
cathach

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:41 pm

marburyvmadison wrote:Is linen so much better than cotton? I use sheets that are 1200 TC from, sighs, Sheridian, a commercial bed sheet provider, and find that they severely handicap me -- at least when I'm trying to get work done in the room. If linen is better, I might get one to try.
When it comes to sheets beware of thread count numbers as there is no standard definition of it. Cotton yarn for weaving is plied, so is each ply a thread for the count? In any event the finer and more densely packed the weave, the less breathable the sheets will be (or other cloth). In my own case since trying linen sheets I have never gone back to cotton, they are without equal I think in allowing the body to regulate its own temperature. Irish linen sheets and wool blankets layered according to the season are what I recommend to all.
BirdofSydney

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:57 am

Barely a week into sleeping on linen sheets, and I will never go back.
cathach

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:32 pm

BirdofSydney wrote:Barely a week into sleeping on linen sheets, and I will never go back.

Its amazing what a difference it makes, I still can't figure out why people changed.
Edward Bainbridge

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:08 pm

Just to try, we bought a pure linen bedding set from IKEA. I don't remember where they have it produced, but this is certainly not the top end of linen weavers. Still already the difference to all the sorts of cotton I had known was eye-opening, or -closing, if you allow the weak but true pun.

Slightly slobbering, I had an online look at Irish linen, trying the links in this thread, but three- and even four-digit pound prices somewhat dried my mouth again. Are there good alternatives? Don't make my wife take me back to that Swedish shop.

Another, minor question concerns the colour: I'd go for white, but online, it's always difficult to see if the "white" is too hard (will it lose this when it's washed without bleaching things?) or the "natural" too much hippy-hempen (will it get brighter?)
Manself

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:10 pm

The other day I found this dealer at an antiques fair in London. I didn't look closely, but it seemed incredibly promising.
Despite what the tumblr suggests there were lots of bed sheets for sale.
bluelinencupboard.tumblr.com
Edward Bainbridge

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks! I'll have a look there, though I don't see my wife agree to used bedsheets yet.

For affordable new good linen, I haven't found anything yet.
davidhuh

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 am

Edward Bainbridge wrote:Thanks! I'll have a look there, though I don't see my wife agree to used bedsheets yet.
Dear Mr Bainbridge,

I hope your esteemed wife has no troubles sleeping in hotels then? :roll:

Linen is a unique fibre, and manufacturing a quality product comes at a price. The investment is well worth it. Linen bed sheets outlive cotton two to three times, and sleeping comfort is better because linen absorbs humidity much better. In terms of quality, Irish and Swiss are the best I know (also the most expensive). Flemish used to be good but I have no recent comparison. Russian linen is ok, not as refined though.

Cheers, David
  • Information