Savile Row protest

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

snapper

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 am

Gentlemen, any thoughts on the piece "Protest on The Row" as posted on Simply Refined blog ?

Regards, Snapper
Noble Savage

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:01 am

In 2006, Mark Henderson denied any snobbery about the whole matter (for it is the appearance of snobbery not the actual application of it that matters)...
Mark Henderson, the chairman of the Savile Row bespoke trade association, denied that there was any snobbery involved in the desire to keep off-the-peg stores out of the street.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... taste.html

So when the Chap crowd protests in snobbish earnest, many call these protesters 'clowns' for saying out loud that which must not be said.

In Japan, certain traditional craftsmen are given Imperial sanction, and funding, as 'national treasures', keeping old arts alive... And so they are.
Last edited by Noble Savage on Wed May 02, 2012 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man at C&A

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:11 am

Noble Savage wrote: So when the Chap crowd protests in snobbish earnest, many call these protesters 'clowns' for saying out loud that which must not be said.
I think the problem is that the protesters are 'Fedora Lounge' types and are nothing to do with what Savile Row is actually about. Take a look at those photos and try and spot a single one of them who hasn't been rumaging through the dressing up box.
stephenm

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:41 am

That's true. I wouldn't want to spend money on SR and come home looking like those chaps.
Sky Blue Peter

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:23 pm

For those who might wish to make a more dignified contribution to the cause, there is an online petition:
http://www.petition.co.uk/save-savile-r ... bie-fitch/

There are (as I write) almost 1500 signatures, from many parts of the world, and the site does take some trouble to verify signatories, which should add to its credibility. I hope many here would agree it is worth a few moments of your time...
cathach

Tue May 01, 2012 12:04 am

I'm actually rather fond of the Chaps, there's a sort of Dada feel to many of their admittedly whimsical activities.

Personally though I find their protest in respect of Savile Row somewhat misplaced, they and others would be far better off going out and buying bespoke and/or Made in the U.K. & E.U. products to encourage traditional manufacturing. There is also plenty of off-row tailoring in London which has to compete with far worse neighbours than A&F, and is none the worse for it.

At worst as others have mentioned their protest could be interpreted as snobbery, and feed into a rather noxious and counter-productive reverse snobbery that people have. I.E. Some people in my experience take great offence in others buying or using certain products which are "too good" or "too fancy" for them. Thus feeding into a perception that anything local or well made is above one's station. One of the greatest enemies of bespoke is the assumption that it is unaffordable for the regular person, when as we all know there are many lesser known tailors and makers, and factory MtM etc. eminently with reach of even modest salaries.

Each of us encouraging and explaining to others why one should buy well-made local clothing and other products will have a far better effect in the long term.
hectorm

Tue May 01, 2012 7:17 pm

I have contradictory feelings regarding this demonstration for the preservation of SR.
On one hand, all said and done, the Chaps are protesting in favor of the same ultimate cause most of us at the LL stand for. On the other hand they might be giving that cause a bad rep and -by this way- preventing others from joining or even understanding what all this is about.
Today, at least they have my respect (the one they lost when I first read their Manifesto) for coming out.
Jukes

Tue May 15, 2012 5:19 pm

They tend to cry wolf too often and do themselves no favours, it was the same when Nutter & Sexton, Oswald Boateng and others who they regarded a threat, arrived.
davidhuh

Tue May 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Jukes wrote:They tend to cry wolf too often and do themselves no favours, it was the same when Nutter & Sexton, Oswald Boateng and others who they regarded a threat, arrived.
Dear Jukes,

correct, but this is a different story I'm afraid. The Row is a street of tailors - some big houses such as Huntsman or Gieves & Hawkes, but also many smaller ones and independent craftsmen. The arrival of A&F will have its impact on property in the street, it will make these people's life and economic survival impossible.

SR is doing rather well at the moment, but it is not all roses for everybody. Gieves has just been sold to a Chinese retail giant, after reportedly making 0 profit since 2005.

My tailor is not rich, and this is a fragile business.

cheers, david
Jukes

Wed May 16, 2012 5:50 am

David
Agreed, whilst not being a fan of A&F, the upside is that they bring youngsters to the row and hopefully their curiosity may be bring a few bespoke customers. There are also certain tailors now on Saville Row that should not be there and do not deserve to be tagged Saville Row tailors, which i think will do more damage than A&F to the Rows reputation.
With the amount of rent and rates being charged its a wonder any of them survive.
  • Information