A well aged cigar

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
alden

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:14 pm

I have been thinking alot about ageing these days. Ageing cigars that is.

This robusto may look like an average Vega Robaina but it isn't. It comes from an excellent box purchased in Amsterdam in 2004. I opened the box six weeks ago and placed the cigars in my Elie Bleu and this is the first one ready to be smoked.

I purchased four boxes at the time because that particular lot had a rich brown Maduro wrapper and had been aged for two years. At the time the cigars smoked beautifully with rich chocolate and earth tones. But the cigars were still a bit green and there was just a bit of an edge to them.

The result of the ageing in this case is nothing short of spectacular. The chocolate tones are richer than ever but the smoke is so incredibly smooth. It almost tastes refreshing.

Good things come to boys who wait....

Cheers
Rowly

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:45 pm

I have a nice Robusto set aside to enjoy this evening after a good steak, in the company of Commissario Montalbano
The series is almost entirely shot in the Sicilian city of Ragusa and surrounding towns.The seaside and harbour locations are at Punta Secca and Licata....very pleasant! I hope you enjoy yours!
davidhuh

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:37 pm

Dear Michael,

it is always nice to hear there are some Maduro enthusiasts left who even think about ageing their cigars :D

A good Maduro is like a good Bordeaux - enjoy the fruit of your patience!

cheers, david
habanos

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:39 am

I have a box of these Hermoso's Michael speaks of but I cannot say I have been aging them. 8) I do have the recent Upmann Noella Jar I picked up in Montecarlo waiting for Its time to Shine. A well aged Habano is hard to top.
uppercase

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:27 pm

The only thing aged here is me.
But still a good smoke.

uppercase

Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 pm

A whole lot of smoking to get to....

Luca

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Allow me to pose a very ignorant question.
Should the aging take place inside a humidor or outside?

What is the minimum amount of aging that is likely to make a difference?
levantine

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Luca
Just like wines some cigars should be smoked young while others improve with age.
Ageing should definitely happen in the box. Some people say that very good humidors (like Elie Bleu) are appropriate for ageing. I do not think so. I believe ageing in the box is the only way to go.
davidhuh

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Luca wrote:Allow me to pose a very ignorant question.
Should the aging take place inside a humidor or outside?
No question is ignorant, Luca. It should happen inside a humidor, in the box in your wine cellar or in the box in the humidor.
When you live in a tropical climate, such as Cuba itself, or Thailand, you might not need a humidor for cigar storage. On the other hand, the humidor will provide stable humidity even in those climates - which would help ageing.
If a cigar is kept outside a humidor in a dry climate, you can in most cases sort of save it by putting it back to the humidor for a couple of weeks. In the earlier days of the 20th century, it was common practice to keep the big stock in the wine cellar at stable conditions (this is important), and taken to a small humidor at least 2 months before smoking. Cigars will suffer when drying out completely or when stored in unstable conditions.
Luca wrote:What is the minimum amount of aging that is likely to make a difference?
In my experience, this largely depends on the cigar. That experience is based on Cuban cigars only, knowing that tobacco quality varies from year to year, and only really grand cigars deserve ageing. The quality will not differ as much as European red wines, but there are distinctive differences the connaisseur will spot. You can talk of ageing from 3 years after purchasing, but it is getting interesting after 5 years. Not all cigars mature at the same speed, and you should be particularly attentive during European summer months (August in particular) when the cigars are having "fever" (quoting Zino Davidoff). A grand cigar well stored will stay in shape for many many years and likely survive most of us.

May be there is another limitation to what I'm saying. I smoke strictly cigars type colorado-maduro or maduro, because I find the claro and doble claro types less interesting. I was told by experienced men of the trade that claro and doble claro types should be smoked immediately or after 12 months latest. Unfortunately, most of the savvy connaisseurs in the trade are dead or have closed their shops - these were typical discussion topics I used to have with experienced cigar sales people. Today, I would suggest you figure it out, by keeping good stock in good conditions over time.

I hope this helps a little.

cheers, david
Luca

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Thank you, gentlemen. I'll give it a crack. One of the benefits to smoking cigars only seldom is that aging a few shouldn't present a problem.
Gilles Deleuze

Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 am

Do any LL members have any other personal favorite cigars? I'm quite partial to the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial, but I'm curious about other recommendations.

I'd like to invest in a humidor in the future, but I'd like to get one that I don't need to tinker with too much or that will require me to fiddle around constantly with different settings. Any humidor trips from LL aficionados?
BAO

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:15 am

I'm rather fond of Padron's and especially the 1926 Series in Maduro (#2 &#9). The benefit of these and other higher end Padron's are the five years of aging prior to being rolled. However, these are full bodied cigars so take the well advised precautions of full stomach and a little sugar on standby.

A much milder but very enjoyable coffee cigar are the Montecristo Edmundos. When they're that smooth out of the box there's no need for aging.
alden

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:11 am

Do any LL members have any other personal favorite cigars? I'm quite partial to the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial, but I'm curious about other recommendations.

I'd like to invest in a humidor in the future, but I'd like to get one that I don't need to tinker with too much or that will require me to fiddle around constantly with different settings. Any humidor trips from LL aficionados?
I am a Hoyo de Monterrey fan as well. (Epicure 2 Cabinet) I have two Elie Bleu humidors and I can recommend them. One of them is well over ten years old and maintains a perfect 70 degrees humidity with the original humidifiers. Just add water every few months and voila.
The product is as beautifully made and beautiful as it is functional. You really can't go wrong.

Cheers
AndyM

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 am

Michael,
You say you bought these cigars in Amsterdam, was it from P.G.C.Hajenius? A wonderful shop, well worth a visit even for non-smokers!
alden

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 am

You say you bought these cigars in Amsterdam, was it from P.G.C.Hajenius? A wonderful shop, well worth a visit even for non-smokers!
Absolutely right. It is a superb shop. They have an interesting selection of cuban cigars of excellent quality (that is not always the case in many shops in Europe.)

Cheers
  • Information