Marling and Evans

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Rowly

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:08 pm

There is no doubt they have some very nice patterns. You have chosen well....thanks for showing us!...Rowly..
Marwood

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks Rowly, kind of you to say. Graham Browne have a box of swatches from Marling and Evans if you're interested. There are some lovely colours and patterns available.

I take it you're considering this for your Rus In Urbe jacket, you mentioned on the other thread? I'm not sure if it's your style or not, but this will go well with jeans I think.
Rowly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:48 am

imagesCAVRZ6GE.jpg
This is the pattern I was thinking of. It would make a great jacket...but would it be too much for a db suit?...I am very tempted!
here's a better pic...
http://stowersbespoke.wordpress.com/page/3/
Marwood

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 am

That's rather nice. It might not make a suit you'd want to wear to client meetings or for job interviews but I think that would look lovely as a db.

Remember, all these rules and 'must dos' are there for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools. If you like the fabric, and the colours work for you then go for it. I'm sure a suit made in that would bring you joy every time you wore it.

I've also just commissioned my first DB for about 15 years - in a mid-grey chalk stripe from HL's Lumb's Golden Bale.

Rowly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:20 am

Marwood, The pic of the Golden Bale is very close-up. However, it looks as though you have found something I have been looking for for a long time. There are so many greys that have a bluey cool tone to them. I am looking for one that has a more autumnal earthy warm tone to it. What I am looking for is a sort of cigar ash colour..not for business, but for wearing with suede shoes and smoking a good cigar, with a single malt close at hand.I see the colour I want often in Italian cloths-but haven't seen it in a good English cloth. Do you think you have found such a cloth? Are the stripes a suitable width for db? Can you give any more details? Is this one of the new issue Golden Bale?...I can't wait to hear more. By the way, the M& E would only be for Flaneur type occasions..and never business..I am tempted, but doubt if it would get many outings..a jacket would be a no-brainer, I think.
Good luck with your db!
Marwood

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 pm

I may well have done - in fact I was inspired to hunt for this cloth by a nice Pal Zieri (sp?) I saw a while back. It is indeed from the new issue. I saw it first in Quearney's. I described the fabric to him and he immediately knew what I meant. I had a similar conversation with Russell at Graham Browne and he recommended the same fabric. I went with the latter since I want it for a friend's wedding in April and I know GB can make it in time. They're also over a grand cheaper.

I'm fortunate enough to be seen as enough of a oddity at work for wearing a suit at all, that a slightly informal pattern is not a problem. It agree the M&W would make an excellent flaneur suit however.
Rowly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Marwood, I too was inspired by a suit by Pal Zileri, I saw in Harvey Nicks....Do you think you have found the grey that almost looks brown in certain light? It's a good sign when two Tailors refer you to the same cloth. I had this experience with a blue 13oz lesser, with good results. Could I ask if you remember the cloth ref?....thanks ,Rowly.
Marwood

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:34 pm

I don't recall I'm afraid. I'll check next time I'm in there however.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same fabric - although I thought it a creamier grey.
Rowly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm

A creamy grey is another good way of describing it...I think it could be the one! I will look forward to your update, and thanks.R.
Pickandpick

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:30 pm

They are situated outside of lechlade - cotswold woollen weavers
Marwood

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Graham Browne, who made my M&L suit, have a blog post up about the fabrics - http://grahambrownebespoke.wordpress.co ... -of-cloth/
Rowly

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:02 am

Excellent! The first pic is the db I'd seen in S.R.......the Donegal would be ideal for the db I had discussed in the Peaked Lapels on Tweed thread.
http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... =4&t=10791
  • Information