Best luxurious cashmere fabric

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

marrduk24

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:57 am

Hi all,

I want to get a jacket stitched in a very luxurious cashmere fabric. It is for a wedding in India. I saw cashmere fabric in scabal's romance collection which was almost £800 a metre. I really liked it but before I pulled the trigger I wanted to know if people in this forum have suggestions for top cashmere jacketing cloth.
cathach

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Try Johnston's of Elgin, they weave much of the cashmere for the big merchants, and certainly will be a lot more reasonable than what you were quoted.
old henry

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Yes, Johnstons of Elgin make a very good cashmere. Good goods. Line front and back to below the knee.
hectorm

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:13 pm

marrduk24 wrote: I want to get a jacket stitched in a very luxurious cashmere fabric.
I would also suggest that you try Harrisons of Edimburgh. They have a very luxurious 100% cashmere in nice selection of colors. And if you want to go to the top in luxury, they also have an exceptional cashmere cloth with vicuna (11oz).
marrduk24

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:24 am

I will try johnstons and Harrison's

Is there any place in London where I can see their books and order fabric.

How about loro piana?
Screaminmarlon

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Loro Piana makes even more fragile cloth nowadays, albeit softer than Johnstons. I have a coat made from an old bolt from Loro Piana (about 14oz, maybe a bit more) that holds up well, but I've seen and actually bought more recent cloth that won't last as long (they add a bit of silk to cashmere on some books).
I'd buy Johnstons in retrospective,
Saluti
hectorm

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:03 pm

marrduk24 wrote:I will try johnstons and Harrison's .Is there any place in London where I can see their books and order fabric. How about loro piana?
Any tailor shop in SR carries Johnstons or Harrisons books. However I'm not sure they would be willing to sell you a length.
As Screaminmarlon said, Loro Piana's "baby" cashmere is really soft. I cannot attest about fragility though. You can see it yourself at their own store in London, on New Bond St.
And since you're there, and you want luxury for a very special occasion, why not try their vicuna. They even have MTM services in case you are interested.
Renfield

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Harrisons of Edinburgh are traditionally though of as producing the finest cashmere suitable for hand tailoring.

Minnis also sell cashmere online.

http://www.hfwltd.com/bobb.php?b=jgh&c=9&p=1
Sky Blue Peter

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Davies & Son (38 Savile Row) recently made me a cashmere jacket with which I am totally delighted.
They had several books of cashmere and their Mr Lawless gently steered me away from my first choice, a 10oz John G Hardy (#103614, http://www.hfwltd.com/bobb.php?b=jgh&c=9&p=2#thumb ) to a far more suitable 10oz from Joshua Ellis (sorry - can't find online). Apart from having a wide choice from which to select, they were gracious and patient whilst I dithered! The choice took three visits and they were happy to send me fabric samples at home so my girlfriend could add her indecisiveness to mine. The finished jacket is beautifully cut (by Mr Mathews) and is a joy to wear. This was my first commission with Davies, and an unqualified success - hence this plug! The cost was £3,200 incl VAT.
hectorm

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:58 pm

marrduk24 wrote:I will try johnstons and Harrison's
Is there any place in London where I can see their books and order fabric.
In London you might visit the showroom of the prestigious cloth merchants Holland & Sherry. They are right on Saville Road next to Dege & Skinner I believe. They always carry 100% cashmere in their permanent collection and in different weights.
There, before deciding, you could get the "toga treatment" and see how the cloth feels and drapes wrapping around your body.
  • Information