caring for suede shoes

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
vmills

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:20 am

Anyone any advice on caring for suede shoes please?
davidhuh

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:27 am

Dear vmills,

google "suede shoe care" and you get tons of good advice.

You basically need a suede brush, and a spray to protect and nourish the suede. Buy it where the sell suede shoes or online (Kirby Allison's Hanger Project, Will Boehlke's Suitable Wardrobe).

Btw, suede shoes are great for traveling, because they need so little maintenance.

cheers, David
vmills

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks David,but I have done this quite a few times. I should have been clearer in terms of what I meant by 'caring'. Suede shoes develope small areas where the suede becomes 'flat' for want of a better word. The websites suggest using suede brushes of varying density which I have tried, plus, trying to remove the 'flat' parts by raising the suede by carefully using a razor blade. I have also used the pencil eraser routine. These aren't very good unless it's me and I have not got the touch. Any ideas please?
NJS

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:53 am

Not sure that I'd trust myself with a razor blade! Beyond suede brushes, there's the wire brush but use it very gently in a circular motion. Very light steaming from a kettle spout will also have a releasing action.
davidhuh

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Thank you NJS! It is the wire brush I am using, and only this one. I give them a regular brush from time to time.

cheers, David
Jordan Marc

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:02 pm

vmills:

Treat your suede shoes as you would their smooth calf or grained leather counterparts, which is to say
don't wear any pair of shoes day in and day out. Give any pair of shoes in your collection an outing no more than once per week. Suede is relatively easy to care for. A light brushing with a suede brush will bring the nap back up, and there are excellent sprays available from Valmour, France that will re-color or protect the beauty of your suede brogues or slip-ons. Warning, don't use wire suede brushes. They're
much too coarse. Valmour has much better brushes designed for your needs. Once you've brought your suedes back to life, always insert a good pair of trees and stand your shoes up straight. Never ever on
their sides. If you're on holiday, lay in a supply of flannel shoe bags to protect your suede and leather
shoes. While you're tending to your shoes, don't forget to carefully paint the outer soles and heels of your shoes with liquid topping. If you have an unsure hand, you can mask off the suede or leather
uppers with blue painter's tape made by 3M. To avoid a residue of mastic buildup, don't press the tape
down hard. Give the uppers a light brushing after the topping has dried.

JMB
uppercase

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:03 pm

When I bought suede shoes, the store gave me a sponge like thing. Works fine.

I'm trying to buy now only suede shoes. I think that they're the most stylish shoe you can get. And very versatile as well. Dark brown only. I've some lighter color ones but they look a bit stupid to me now.
NJS

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:24 pm

I didn't mean habitually to use a wire brush but, if nothing else will lift the suede, using one gently on the affected area certainly works.
Jordan Marc

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:36 pm

uppercase:

Why dark brown only? You might want to eventually consider black suede full brogues and cap-toe
lace-ups with punching along the straight seams. You might also consider mid-grey suede brogues
and cap-toe lace-ups with punching. Additionally, there are different styles of slip-ons in black,
mid-grey, navy blue, forest green, and dark brown suede that are handsome, some with tassels that flop about, others with more subdued raised stitching and crossbanding (a variation on of the penny style) along the instep. Suede makes wonderfully comfortable shoes, be they lace-ups or slip-ons.
The only thing more comfortable is to kick off your shoes at the front door and runaround the house
barefoot. According to a topnotch podiatrist, it's the best thing you can do for your feet.

Add a little color in your life. It gives one a sense of style.

JMB
NJS

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Why not just kick the shoes off altogether and run around outside the house even? Splish! splosh!
uppercase

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:02 pm

First, NJS should be eliminated from this conversation altogether as he probably hasn't worn shoes in ages. What does he know from shoes anymore? His feet have probably become soft and waterlogged and couldn't fit in shoes anyway.

Second, JM, while your ideas on shoes are intriquing, they are dangerous as they open a pandora's box...while I am moving in a direction of editing and eliminating items other than the classic and comfortable. Jettisoning past excesses. Hence, it is brown, preferably brown suede, preferably brown suede loafers from here to eternity. There is no need for anything else.

This is where I live now:

And when it's cold:

Please, no snide remarks or loud laughter. TU
vmills

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll try the steam from the kettle and the Valmour brushes for a start. Where in the UK do I get 'liquid topping for heesl and sides of soles? For decades I have used Kiwi heel and toe renovator which is excellent but no longer made and I only have three tubes left! Regards, Vic
davidhuh

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Jordan Marc wrote:vmills:

Warning, don't use wire suede brushes. They're
much too coarse.
JMB
Dear Jordan Marc,

I'm sorry to disagree. I got my wire brush from my Schuhmachermeister, with a Valmour spray. My suede shoes are happy, and so am I :D

Cheers, David
NJS

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:44 pm

I did, actually, wear a lightweight suit and a pair of shoes and socks last Friday on a day trip to Rio. The car was air conditioned but, walking around outside, in 30'C-ish heat, after months of just swimming shorts, shirt and sandals, I felt as though I was being subjected to a cruel and unusual punishment. I guess that my suit and shoe-wearing days will now be strictly confined to: visits to cities, and attendance at any family ceremonies. But, U-C I still maintain some interest in the subject and I can see, from your recent posts, that you too see the merits of living in Avenida do Conforto! :lol:
  • Information