Charcoal coloured suit, what colour shoes?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

hectorm

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:15 am

Mark Seitelman wrote:IMHO, black shoes are the dressiest and most proper for a charcoal suit.

If you wanted to venture away from black, go with burgandy (or oxblood or cordovan color) or the darkest brown that you can find (e.g., chocolate and expresso, which is almost black). Anything lighter will look jarring. E.g., mid-brown, whiskey, and British tan.
Nobody could object to these words. But sometimes if you have enough style you can pull it off.

Ginsa77

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:27 am

If you are in Melbourne, Luisa men's boutique in Russell Street has quality (branded) shoes, some of which are excellent. Not sure what's on at the moment but they often have sales around 50% off at the end of the season - great buys, especially for classic shoes which don't go in and out of fashion.
offshoresa65s

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:43 am

Hi

Thank you Ginsa77 and Hectorm for your suggestions for shoe stores in OZ.

I am fortunate this year and I'll be in Sydney and London may / june this year.

I'm tempted to spend some time in Sydney looking for RTW shoes, but I'm thinking I may hold off until I can get to Jermyn St London.

I'll only have time to purchase RTW, but I've been web site surfing and can hardly wait to visit Lobb, C&J, Church's, Trickers etc.

Last time I were in london I managed to purchase a very nice black Homburg from James Lock & Co.

I also bought a RTW Loro Piana Storm System Full length overcoat from Brooks Brothers.

Cloths that are simply just not available here.

I just love London!

Cheers

O
davidhuh

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Dear Offshore65s,

if you go to London, don't forget Edward Green.

Church's is no longer worth your time, I'm afraid to say. Their workshop keeps my old horses in good shape with occasional service, but that's about it. Terrible sales staff knowing nothing about their product, more & more marketing (should I pay for this?), collections designed in Italy :cry:

cheers, David
Suite design

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 am

I always wear dark brown wing tip brogues with my greys. I also wear light blue shirts with grey instead of white.
hectorm

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:17 am

davidhuh wrote: if you go to London, don't forget Edward Green. Church's is no longer worth your time, I'm afraid to say.
Those are tough words on Church's. Although IMO Edward Green has gained a significant edge over Church's (particularly regarding design and consistency of quality across their different lines, plus they have bespoke service), Church's shoes are still worth the money if you know what you are looking for. The problem is that nowadays you will find the classic "work horses" of old time mixed up with more than dubious additions to the brand. Unique classics like, for example, the walnut Chetwynds or the sandalwood Graftons are still being sold at the same standard of quality. If you stay within those boundaries I believe you would be getting excellent value in RTW shoes.
It's no wonder that the latest poll conducted by H. Hunstman and Sons amongst their clients and followers found Church's to be still their favorite shoe maker over.
davidhuh

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:04 am

Dear Hectorm,

It may well be that I used strong words. I got spoiled by the old sales staff at Church's who knew their job and their product. They are all gone. The Grafton's and the Shannon's are still on shelf of course. They won't give me the left shoe one size larger than the right one as they used to do it :cry:

cheers, David
hectorm

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:30 am

You have a point. It's true that Church's has not done a good job in keeping their staff well trained in all aspects of the trade. This past summer I visited their smallish store in Brompton Rd. and the young clerk did not know beyond the basics and insisted in showing me (sic) "Italian type shoes on sale that were softer and needed a more frequent rotation than the 'normal' Church's shoes".
That's why I included in my post the caveat "still worth the money if you know what you are looking for".
As for your pairs of shoes with different sizes, you were spoiled indeed. My wife gets that service for tops and bottoms when she buys bikinis and I have bought "separates suits" myself, but I haven't heard of it in RTW shoes.
Charlie

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Brown or when I'm in the mood a dark oxblood. :)
  • Information