Overcoats and handkerchiefs?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

hectorm

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:02 am

I have been experimenting with different combinations of pocket squares on overcoats for some time.
The only really satisfactory combination that I have found is wearing a white cotton/linen square with my camel hair DB polo coat (its chest pocket is not flapped like Windsor's). And it only looks great when the neck opening shows some white shirt and a tie. A minor detail like wearing a tucked in scarf detracts from the general look.
I have tried stuffing leather gloves into chest pocket but I find it a bit bulky.
Finally I take issue with Mark Seitelman's remark that the combination handkerchief/overcoat "would look ridiculous with an unshaven face". I groom a full beard and it works for me :D
rodes

Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Hectorm, Perhaps Mark's comment could be interpreted to mean an ungroomed face. This seems to be his clear meaning based upon the overall context.
I cannot warm to the notion of the displayed handkerchief with the overcoat for myself. In fact, I rarely display one with a lounge suit and reserve the look for special occasions. I have tried it and while I find it pleasing for others, it is just not a routine statement for me.
Daedalus

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Macmillan did the overcoat&handkerchief, and he was a gentleman...

Last edited by Daedalus on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hectorm

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:08 am

rodes wrote:Hectorm, Perhaps Mark's comment could be interpreted to mean an ungroomed face. This seems to be his clear meaning based upon the overall context.
Yes dear Rodes, that was also my interpretation. I only wanted to "break a spear" for those of us who don a beard and that's why I added the Smilie. Actually we do have to shave daily (neck and cheeks at least) and on top of that do all the trimming.

By the way Daedalus, great pictures of the Earl of Stockton with the handkerchief/overcoat combo. But is he wearing a soft collared bottom down shirt for that visit of state?
  • Information