Off-seville row tailors - Connock & Lockie, Sims, C Antoniou

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

marrduk24

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:19 am

All,

I moved to london about 6 months ago and looking for a tailor here to get my suits stitched from. I wanted to find someone off-Seville row as I presumed that would be cheaper. I am looking to spend no more than £1000 - £1200 on a 2 piece suit. Based on research at London Lounge I selected:

Connock & Lockie
Sims & MacDonald
Christos Antoniou

However then a friend of mine also recommended Cad & the dandy. Seems they are actually cheapest of the three.

Off the first 3 it seems Connock & Lockie is the most expensive. Are there people here who have had experience with Connock & Lockie as well as one of Sims/ C Antonious and can contrast two price ranges? Any experience with Cad & the dandy?

Also is Budd still recommended for shirts?
Man at C&A

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm a happy customer at Cad &The Dandy, having used them for both their MTM and bespoke services. The head cutter is John Duboise (the brother of Edwin) and they have a talented young apprentice cutter. The house style is for a quite structured coat.

I understand that the cutting is done in London and then the stitching is sent overseas.
marrduk24

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:27 pm

So I called up Connock & Lockie and they said they bespoke suits start at £1900. That is certainly more than what I thought they charged. Maybe over time their rates have gone-up.
davidhuh

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:59 pm

marrduk24 wrote:All,

I moved to london about 6 months ago and looking for a tailor here to get my suits stitched from. I wanted to find someone off-Seville row as I presumed that would be cheaper. I am looking to spend no more than £1000 - £1200 on a 2 piece suit. Based on research at London Lounge I selected:

Connock & Lockie
Sims & MacDonald
Christos Antoniou

However then a friend of mine also recommended Cad & the dandy. Seems they are actually cheapest of the three.

Off the first 3 it seems Connock & Lockie is the most expensive. Are there people here who have had experience with Connock & Lockie as well as one of Sims/ C Antonious and can contrast two price ranges? Any experience with Cad & the dandy?

Also is Budd still recommended for shirts?
Dear Marrduk,

I would recommend you go and see these people in order to see what they would do for you and to find out whom you are comfortable with. I would never choose a tailor based on a price quote. You should expect to enjoy a well made suit for 20 years to come.

Re Budd: They made about 30 shirts for me in the last 2 years, and I am perfectly happy with them. But again: you should inquire others, too. Emma Willis, Turnbull & Asser, Sean O'Flynn and Stephen Lachter would be options to consider.

Cheers, David
marrduk24

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:41 am

David,

Fair point - until you visit you can't really get an idea of what you are getting. However I wanted to identify 2-3 tailors that fit my criteria. It seems Connock is more expensive than what I am looking to spend right now. However might give them a shout when I am looking for something more special
Lugano

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 am

you could have the jacket made by Antoniou [£600 CMT], and the trousers by C&L [£350 CMT]!

Antoniou's trousers are good value at £135 CMT, but C&L are a clear step up
TimMureau

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Another excellent tailor who is not based anymore at Savile Row (But still does the Savile Row quality!) is John Coggin. He made some suits for me as well as for my dear father which were excellent and he asked a very reasonable price for his work.

One can find more information about him on my blog: http://timmureau.blogspot.com/2010/08/j ... ailor.html
andreyb

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:35 am

Many examples of suits / coats made by John Coggin are on this web-site: http://www.bernhardroetzel.de/

It's interesting that despite Mr Coggin's A&S background, the shoulders look very structured.

Andrey
TimMureau

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Indeed at the website of Mr. Roetzel you find many examples of his work. John has worked over the years for many, many tailoring houses including his own Tobias Tailors at Savile Row. So he took the influences from other tailoring houses he worked for as well. However he can make what you want, if you prefer the A&S style he can do it. If you prefer a more structured shoulder he can do it as well like you have seen at Mr. Roetzel's website. He is a very flexible tailor on that matter.
  • Information