choice of tailor

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Hesketh

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:57 am

"You could go to a very expensive and prestigious house who , on evaluating you to be a one-off customer ( or shopping tourist ), will use you as trainee fodder, and you will pay for it!"

You could also go to a cheap(er) tailor, who still can't make you a decent suit after 3 attempts, which is what happened to me.

I can personally recommend Poole's, who now make for me, and are well worth the extra in my opinion.
I've also seen excellent work from Chittleborough and Morgan and never heard any complaints about them.
Jones Chalk and Dawson have also made some lovely suits for Frog in Suit, I've also never heard anything bad about them.
You might also like to look up a fairly recent post by Troedyrhiw on his experience with John Pearce, which was positive.
I would recommend you do a search on this forum and perhaps styleforum for those tailors which interest you. Comments must always be taken with a pinch of salt, after all, there is a lot that can go wrong between a tailor and client, not always through the fault of the tailor, but you will at least get an overview of those which have a hit and miss reputation.
Hopefully it will be the start of a second long term relationship, best of luck with both :-)
Rob
academe

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:49 am

They may have already been mentioned, but what about Tom Mahon or Edwin DeBoise (Steed) in Cumbria? I use Tom and love his work...

Is Des Merrion still in business?
Martin

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:03 am

I have had my last three suits made by Peter Harvey of Fallan & Harvey, now part of Davies & Sons at 38 Savile Row. Peter is wonderful to work with and the workmanship is top notch. His suits also fit in your budget.
  • Information