What are some of your favourite Sartorial Books?

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
All over the world

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:19 am

Gido wrote:in response to the original question,

- elegance by g. bruce boyer, as well as fred astaire style and rebel style
- clothes and the man by alan flusser
- laszlo vass' book about shoes (in dutch translation)
- gentleman by bernhard roetzel
- a gentleman's wardrobe by paul keers
- the book of ties by francois chaille

in addition, i have d.v. by diana vreeland and windor revisited by the duke of windsor, these are books about people that deal more than a little with clothes.

the elegant man by riccardo villarosa, and style and the man by alan flusser, are currently on their way to my home.

i am still looking for a copy of eminently suitable by g. bruce boyer. i have found this site due to an interview with this gentleman, where he mentioned it. and i might get the picture book by scott schumann a.k.a the sartorialist. i love many of his photo's, some of them have been an inspiration. plus a friend of mine is featured in this book.
I found some sellers of this book for you:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... le&x=0&y=0

:)
NJS

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:27 am

Rowly wrote:Roger the dodger to taxi driver, "How much to take me and mt suitcase to the station?"
Taxi driver, " Five bob,mate, the luggage goes free!" Okay'', says Roger.''You take the case and I'll walk!''
How about Alden producing
The best of the London Lounge
?
The Dandy (1937) and The Beano (1938) are still going strong. I used to have 'The Beano' and my sister used to have 'The Dandy' and then we'd swap them so I could probably do a 'Mastermind' competition on their contents between around 1965 to 1978.
NJS
Rowly

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Even for an aspiring Dandy, the Beano was by far the best. The cartoons were superb and the colours were like madder silk, so full of charm. Somewhere in the period you mention, probably to save money, the whole thing became lifeless and sterile. The same applied to the Tom and Jerry cartoons. The ones produced by Fred Quimby were superb, with amazing 1930's jazz soundtracks. And, what about the fantastic Max Fleischer before the Hays Code made Betty Boop lengthen her skirts? :wink: By the way, I re-read Mr.Toad's exploits recently. He has always been a sartorial role model for me!
NJS

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Rowly wrote:Even for an aspiring Dandy, the Beano was by far the best. The cartoons were superb and the colours were like madder silk, so full of charm. Somewhere in the period you mention, probably to save money, the whole thing became lifeless and sterile. The same applied to the Tom and Jerry cartoons. The ones produced by Fred Quimby were superb, with amazing 1930's jazz soundtracks. And, what about the fantastic Max Fleischer before the Hays Code made Betty Boop lengthen her skirts? :wink: By the way, I re-read Mr.Toad's exploits recently. He has always been a sartorial role model for me!
I once worked with a German called Christoph (he would have described himself as a Prussian!) and, when he was a pupil barrister, he was reading The Beano in his pupil-master's room when another member of chambers ('Nosey-Parker) entered to speak to his pupil-master and, seeing what Christoph was doing, pointedly remarked "Can't you find something better to read than that?". So Christoph put down The Beano and picked up a volume of Edward Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire'. Christoph's pupil-master then said to Nosey-Parker: "I don't suppose that you read that either, do you?"

The Wind in The Willows is a wonderful book at any age and the chapter 'Piper at The Gates of Dawn' is tremendous stuff. I have seen that the copy inscribed by Grahame to Foy Quiller-Couch recently sold for over £30,000.
NJS
Berwick

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:53 pm

When I was at St Andrews University, the physics library used to get a copy of the Beano every week and keep it on the shelves next to the academic journals. It wasn't just the students who read it!
NJS

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Berwick wrote:When I was at St Andrews University, the physics library used to get a copy of the Beano every week and keep it on the shelves next to the academic journals. It wasn't just the students who read it!
These pleasures are as refreshing as a glass of nice champagne and help us to keep things in perspective.
NJS
All over the world

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:30 am

NJS wrote:
Berwick wrote:When I was at St Andrews University, the physics library used to get a copy of the Beano every week and keep it on the shelves next to the academic journals. It wasn't just the students who read it!
These pleasures are as refreshing as a glass of nice champagne and help us to keep things in perspective.
NJS
Did you know that champagne is made from grapes which were not deemed good enough to be used for regular wine. This is then masked by the fact that Champagne is sparkling.

Theoretically speaking champagne should cost less than wine. Unfortunately it does not.
cathach

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:15 am

All over the world wrote: Did you know that champagne is made from grapes which were not deemed good enough to be used for regular wine. This is then masked by the fact that Champagne is sparkling.

Theoretically speaking champagne should cost less than wine. Unfortunately it does not.

What is your source for this exactly? There are certain stories about the origin for Champagne but most centre around dealing with wine that fermented twice in the bottle leading to explosions in the cellars. Grapes that aren't good enough I don't understand...
All over the world

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 pm

cathach wrote:
All over the world wrote: Did you know that champagne is made from grapes which were not deemed good enough to be used for regular wine. This is then masked by the fact that Champagne is sparkling.

What is your source for this exactly? There are certain stories about the origin for Champagne but most centre around dealing with wine that fermented twice in the bottle leading to explosions in the cellars. Grapes that aren't good enough I don't understand...
Count Alexander von Schonburg writes about it in his book. Have you ever tried to drink champagne once it no longer sparkles? Try it and you will understand what I mean.
NJS

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:26 pm

All over the world wrote:
NJS wrote:
NJS
Did you know that champagne is made from grapes which were not deemed good enough to be used for regular wine. This is then masked by the fact that Champagne is sparkling.

It might be useful to have a source for this.
NJS
Frog in Suit

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Champagne, I believe, is more labour-intensive than still wines.
Cf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methode_champenoise

Frog in Suit
NJS

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Isn't drinking (sparkling) champagne that has gone flat rather like eating rotting food - of course it is going to be horrible!
NJS
soren

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:49 pm

All over the world wrote:Did you know that champagne is made from grapes which were not deemed good enough to be used for regular wine. This is then masked by the fact that Champagne is sparkling.
As someone who has worked quite a lot with champagne I can assure you that that is absolutely nonsense. It might have been true a couple of hundred years ago when sparkling wine was an exception rather than the norm, but today very little still wine is produced i Champagne (and for that part mostly red). Today, more and more wine makers are trying to make champagne that express the terroir and are hence aiming for a very high quality. Only the best grapes go in their (sparkling) champagne, the least best go in the sweet champagne (two champagne houses being and exception, though).

What is true, however, is that in areas with a lot of chalk in the ground you do funny things to the wine. For example in Champagne you make it sparkling, in Cognac you make brandy from it, and so on.
All over the world wrote:champagne should cost less than wine. Unfortunately it does not.
I fully agree.

Cheers,
Soren
All over the world

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Perhaps his highborn, the Count, is a bit démodé. :wink:
Costi

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:36 pm

He writes so many witty truths in his book that I am surprised the first thing that stuck to you was this simple piece of (mis)information... just for the sensationalism of the news! You could make a great journalist, like him. But he gave it up...! :wink:
  • Information