Style in Politics

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Cufflink79

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Gruto wrote:Speaking of politicians, I stumbled upon the following photo:

You don't see politicians dress in such nice suits today. Look at Kohl's suit: balance is brilliant, and the blue shade absolutely seducing. Kohl's suit serves his enormous figure well, and I think it proves that a lower buttoning point can be superior choice. His tailor is supposed to be Volkmar Arnulf in Berlin. There is more than English and Italian - and French - tailoring :wink:
Stately and conservative, I like it. As for the handbag Prime Minister Thatcher and her handbag, maybe she has pistol in there.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
alden

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:00 pm

The best dressed man in that picture is Francois Mitterand by a few lengths.

Kohl does well given what he's got to work with.

The Italian can barely button his coat...che vergogna!

Michael
Gruto

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:12 pm

alden wrote:The best dressed man in that picture is Francois Mitterand by a few lengths.

The contenders relaxing. Nice suits, but Helmut Kohl's shoes are too practical (dare I say too German?), and Francois Mitterand's shoes are too chic (dare I say too French?) for the occasion :)
_DR

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:27 pm

I've posted a link to this picture of Trudeau and his trademark red rose before. It would be unimaginable for a politician for a policitian to wear a buttonhole today - how have things changed so much in a single generation?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iPL6ug80d0o/R ... it1977.jpg
rodes

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Here in the United States we are now engaged in deciding the Republican Candidate for President. How troubling that the major players appear time and again in jeans, even as their supporters behind them wear coats and ties. Once in awhile, say a farm tour or county fair, I could see it. But every day? Come on guys, you are trying for the most important job in the world. You will not get it by dumbing down on the people. Even, and especially, the ones who wear jeans every day are smarter than that.
  • Information