Tartan trousers with a dinner jacket -somebody stop me !

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Man at C&A

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:36 pm

All over the world wrote: What I'm saying is that to some people it might seem very improper. It is as if Michelle Obama was to put on a Tiara, she just can't. Or if David Beckham wore a signet ring... It's just not done.

Isn't Black Tie all about following strict etiquette anyway? Everyone tries to mess with Black Tie these days, the ones that follow proper etiquette will be the ones that will be noticed.
Good grief what a load of pretentious twaddle. What century do you live in? Thank goodness most of us live an post-Thatcherite world where you're measured by what you have achieved rather than who great-great-grandfather was.

Black tie as it has been handed down to us is suppose to be unfussy dress for informal (as opposed to casual) wear. Yes it has been messed with and I've seen some deplorable attempts at individualism/humour in my time. But then I've also seen a handful of examples were evolution has created stunning results.

As for trews, I personally wouldn't. But I've not objection to any Scots that would - however this is more a cultural and political view than anything stylistic.
All over the world

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Man at C&A wrote:
All over the world wrote: What I'm saying is that to some people it might seem very improper. It is as if Michelle Obama was to put on a Tiara, she just can't. Or if David Beckham wore a signet ring... It's just not done.

Isn't Black Tie all about following strict etiquette anyway? Everyone tries to mess with Black Tie these days, the ones that follow proper etiquette will be the ones that will be noticed.
Good grief what a load of pretentious twaddle. What century do you live in? Thank goodness most of us live an post-Thatcherite world where you're measured by what you have achieved rather than who great-great-grandfather was.

Black tie as it has been handed down to us is suppose to be unfussy dress for informal (as opposed to casual) wear. Yes it has been messed with and I've seen some deplorable attempts at individualism/humour in my time. But then I've also seen a handful of examples were evolution has created stunning results.

As for trews, I personally wouldn't. But I've not objection to any Scots that would - however this is more a cultural and political view than anything stylistic.
The name of the thread is "Tartan trousers with a dinner jacket -somebody stop me !" I therefore assumed that the OP was looking for a reason not to get the Tartan Trousers which he longs for and I am merely giving him a reason. Achievement and social class have nothing to do with etiquette and I don't think this has any place in this discussion. There are just certain things which we can or cannot wear depending on who we are. I am not scottish and so am not entitled to wear a Tartan. I am not entitled to wear a red ermine lined mantle either because I am not a King. You are not entitled to walk around with a Police Badge because you are not a Policeman. Know what I mean? For example I love formal military uniforms, that doesn't mean I can wear one.

As I have said there are opportunities which allow bending the rules, one simply has to pick the right time and place.
YoungLawyer

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Kilt = Highlands.
Trews = Lowlands.

Wear what you like; just make sure it's well fitting! Don't, however, claim anything you're not entitled to. The Black watch is often worn by those who are not part of a clan, especially in England.
SMCK

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:07 am

Charles
Go for it,I might even join you.
WWW.houseofbrauer.com
mccullgr

Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:59 pm

As a Scot and a Highlander I would say "Have at it!".

You might even considering designing and registering your own tartan. No need to bother the Lord Lyon - http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/guidan ... egistering

Given the huge number of tartans available I'm sure you can find something you're entitled to wear but I, for one, certainly wouldn't be too precious about it.

Kind regards

mccullgr
mccullgr

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:08 pm

PS SMCK did you mean http://www.houseofbruar.com/ with your link above?

Coincidentally I visited Johnstons of Elgin, who produce their fabrics, a couple of weeks ago. I bought two caps in the Saxony Tweed but couldn't convince my wife that matching plus-twos or plus-fours would be a good idea. :(
Bootsie

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Charles, you go ahead. Unless you are of stocky build, as tartan trews really only suit the taller frame.
Remember wear black brogue, highly polished shoes, as in the Lowland Regiments, but pass on the white spats!
SMCK

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Mccullgr,
you are correct ..my mistake.
charles

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 am

Thank you for your comments and thoughtful advice - much appreciated. Having gone through the 1970's wearing a black velvet suit with enormous lapels and a matching velvet bowtie as "black tie" ( a popular option then) I have no shame. Meanwhile , I must away to the Highlands , I hear the pipes a calling me home ..Och the noo etc etc ..
Azdak

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:07 am

Nothing wrong with trews but, if you're going to do it, you might as well invest in the correct top half rather than throwing on the old DJ. Contrary to Costi's suggestion, there's nothing to stop you wearing whatever tartan you fancy. The whole 'clan tartan' thing is a nonsense and most of the designs have only been registered since the 1950s. You should be aware, however, that bad ceilidh dancing while clad in said trews attracts most serious penalties.
Costi

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Azdak wrote:Contrary to Costi's suggestion, there's nothing to stop you wearing whatever tartan you fancy.
:?:
culverwood

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:31 am

Azdak wrote:Contrary to Costi's suggestion, there's nothing to stop you wearing whatever tartan you fancy.
Only common sense and not wanting to look like Rupert the bear.
lxlloyd

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:03 pm

culverwood wrote:
Only common sense and not wanting to look like Rupert the bear.
Rupert is rather exceptionally dressed for a bear...
charles

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:46 pm

THE DEED IS DONE I have purchased them .
The trews hang in my wardrobe. Yes I feel much better now thank you
I suspect I will give them their 1st outing on Christmas day..just to soften them up.Thanks to all for many pieces of sensible advice. You do indeed only live once...or...

You're only young once but you can remain immature for as long as you like.
culverwood

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Which tartan did you choose. My wife is a Macleod hence the Rupert comment.
  • Information