Style in Politics

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
rodes

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:59 am

We finally have an aspiring US politician who is not afraid to be seen in his own unique style. Republican Presidential contender Herman Cain has certainly not been dressed by political handlers. This is quite a refreshing trait in our present democratic age. I wish him well and hope he goes far. Politics aside,his indivigual presentation seems more genuine than our "one style suits all" mindset.
Last edited by rodes on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cufflink79

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:57 pm

If you're able to post a few pictures of the gentleman, that would be great. Lets not forget to talk about the style rather than the politics. :wink: :lol:

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
rodes

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Cufflink79, Sorry but I have none to post. My observations are based on Mr. Cain's frequent TV appearances. He is a well turned out gentleman. You advise well and I agree that we discuss style alone in this forum,"politics aside".
Canuck

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Google "Herman Cain" and you will find many photographs and videos. I could only find upper body shots.
Herman seems very similar to all other politicians, dark suit, white shirt and solid colored tie.
The only thing that may be different is that Herman is well groomed.

Best regards

Canuck
Cufflink79

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks Canuck.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Jordan Marc

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Herman Cain, aka, The Hermanator by the political savvy press, is a businessman who owns a chain that makes pizza pies. Nothing wrong with pizza, per se, but why he chose to name his company Godfather's Pizza is beyond me. Suffice to say he won't be a big draw at the voting booth in 2012. For truly gr-reat deepdish pizza you go to Uno's in Chicago. Restauranteurs as a rule don't waste time running for any kind of political office. Like Trump and Palin the Hermanator wants publicity, that's all there is to that. He's just a Republican joke.

JMB
rodes

Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:44 am

I have retitled my post because my intention was to discuss Mr.Cain's style as opposed to his business,party or chances. Style is a certain manifestation of art and seems to occupy a realm distinct from practical politics. Mr. Cain stands apart from the many who for the most part are dressed by advisers.
Costi

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:35 pm

In the very broad politics of our brain's physiology, the left side is analytical, the right side is synthetical. The left is logical, but discernment resides in the right. The left operates with notions, the right - with images and symbols.
I believe Style is rightist! :)
(however, the right part of the brain governs the left side of the body - not so much unlike politics, hmmm?...)
Canuck

Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:32 pm

rodes wrote:I have retitled my post because my intention was to discuss Mr.Cain's style as opposed to his business,party or chances. Style is a certain manifestation of art and seems to occupy a realm distinct from practical politics. Mr. Cain stands apart from the many who for the most part are dressed by advisers.
My response stemmed from the "his own unique style" comment relating to Mr. Cain.
Irrespective of Mr. Cain's political views or company name (Should he not be wearing double breasted chalk stripe) he is following the politico dress code.
This dress code was most likely developed by image consultants, and created , to offend the least number of voters or impress the most.
A politician cannot offend the anti-pocket square or paisley tie lobby.
Mr. Cain may pull it off (appearance) better than others but he is still following a "dress code" that, by definition cannot be "unique".
Man at C&A

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:12 pm

I live close to former British Members of Parliment Martin Bell and Bob Marshall Andrews. Both do a good impression of a sack o' spuds.

On the otherhand Vince Cable has improved his dressing no end since getting his hands grubby pulling the levers of power.
Gruto

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Speaking of politicians, I stumbled upon the following photo:

You don't see politicians dress in such nice suits today. Look at Kohl's suit: balance is brilliant, and the blue shade absolutely seducing. Kohl's suit serves his enormous figure well, and I think it proves that a lower buttoning point can be superior choice. His tailor is supposed to be Volkmar Arnulf in Berlin. There is more than English and Italian - and French - tailoring :wink:
Costi

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Thatcher beats them all, though! :wink:
Gruto

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Costi wrote:Thatcher beats them all, though! :wink:
The handbag says everything :)
Costi

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:53 pm

...and pearls are such a political competitive advantage over a tie! :D
JCH

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:39 am

But the Japanese prime minister had the arched tie advantage as well. :)
  • Information