Who likes to eat Breakfast out?

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
HappyStroller

Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:04 pm

I'm quite surprised to hear that, JassToltz, as I had always regarded the great British banger a favourite of mine. But perhaps the English breakfast sausage is no longer so tasty because, as I understand it, they no longer use pig intestine as the casing to contain the minced pork or beef in what used to be wonderful link sausages, but instead some kind of synthetic stocking is used.

I suspect this, plus the use of chicken meat instead of real pork, accounts for the lack of original fragrance of present-day Vienna sausages.

If I were to return to London, I would love to stay in several of those bed & breadfast establishments just for the great English breakfast. Perhaps the weather plays a part, and the cooler months of Autumn, Winter and Spring makes one look forward to a full breakfast while nicely dressed in Morning Dress or a Stroller.
jasstoltz wrote:I love to eat breakfast out. It was one of the things I missed most when in England, a country wonderful at many things, breakfast certainly not one of them. ...<snipped>....
Johnboy

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:02 pm

Claridges everytime or even The Wolseley if you're 'slumming' it.

Mind you Patisserie-Valerie in Brompton Road takes some beating if
you only want to spend 'normal' money on Brekkie.
troutonthefly

Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:15 am

Cufflink79,

I'm a Twin Cities resident and can recommend two restaurants.
Birchwood Cafe: Fresh, local, organic, bring the Sunday NY Times and make a morning of it.
Maria's cafe: Central American fare, order a few eggs and don't forget the corn pancakes.

Best,

Trout
Cufflink79

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:39 pm

Welcome to the LL Trout:

Thanks for the info on the restaurants up in the Twin Cities. I will have to give them a try when I can get up there.

I'll send you a PM to introduce myself.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Cufflink79

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:11 pm

I was running errands the other day in downtown Albuquerque, and off in the shadows on Slate Ave. just north of the courthouse was a great little place for breakfast.

It is called Slate Street Cafe, it use to be a home at one time. There are a number of law firms on the street as well that use to be homes to.

This is a great place to wear a suit and tie among the various attorneys who stop in to grab a bite to eat.

I had the banana stuffed French Toast, with strawberries and real maple syrup, alongside with a nice cold glass of grapefruit juice. :)

http://www.slatestreetcafe.com/

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
lxlloyd

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 am

In Paris, on a Sunday, there's not much else to do.

For the adventurous among you, I've found a place on the rue Saint Denis, just near reaumur Sebastopol/Etienne Marcel called twinkies. The name is unappetising, but the breakfasts (all day) are fantastic. Particularly reccomended are the eggs benedict and cheesecake. Also one of the few places to serve a decent bagel in the city.

There's also the infamous Rose bakery - i head to the one in the haut Marais rather than Monmartre to half the queue. Delicious. Particularly the giant soup bowls of coffee.
Haggis

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:54 pm

We have lived, these past 17 years, some 200 miles north of the Twin Cities, and not exactly the gastronomical capital of the world.

Given timing issues, Herself and I have breakfast “out” perhaps once a week, but the kindest words I can give about the local eateries are that the food is not immediately lethal, and the establishments are kept relatively clean.

I generally try to make myself happy with coffee and a bowl of oatmeal, if I can get other than instant oatmeal; otherwise it is just the coffee. Herself loves biscuits and gravy; anyplace and anytime we might happen to try, it is her first inquiry, “Do you have biscuits and gravy?”

We do get down to “the Cities” from time to time, and there we find a great many delightful cafés and restaurants, perhaps rather more to my liking.
rodes

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 pm

I love breakfasting out and in. Which ever way,have it every day in a big way. It is the most important meal of the the day,the cheapest and the best. Moreover,it is the one meal that you can go "hog" wild on without wishing that you had not. All nutritionists,trainers and diets advise this as well as all breakfast connoisseurs. Why is it that breakfast is the one meal that most tend to go without?
Costi

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:47 pm

rodes wrote:Why is it that breakfast is the one meal that most tend to go without?
Time!
But, as Davinci wrote, time is sufficient for those who use it.
rodes

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Costi, You and da Vinci are both right- time and the proper use of it are at issue. My best answer to those who forsake this meal is to make breakfast and elegant priority. Find the time some place else in the day,get to rest earlier,get up the same, and treat the body and soul to this most simple pleasure and healthy benefit that seems to have been lost to most of us in our modernity.
BespokeMex

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:15 am

Time!
But, as Davinci wrote, time is sufficient for those who use it.

Soooo true!

In a regular week, I try to eat out breakfast one day with my wife, another day with both my wife and daughter, and one other day with my best friend. The rest of the week...business meetings during breakfast time. I seem to enjoy my days better when I manage to eat breakfast out.
Costi

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:11 am

Agreed, rodes! While I like the IDEA of breakfast out, in practice I prefer breakfast in. I recharge not only with fuel for the body, but also with the mindset for the day - I have my music, I like to be alone with my thoughts. I don't really appreciate conviviality at breakfast, as I do for lunch and dinner - company doesn't appreciate my silent mood and a crowd (in a public place) agitates me so early. But I do like to make time for breakfast and I feel like I just fell from bed right into my shoes if I ever go out without it.
Cooked

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Another vote for the Wolseley. I'm with Costi though, breakfast out is often better in imagination than in reality; I'm generally in too bad a mood for company until I've eaten something. I remember noting with approval in the Fry/Laurie Jeeves and Wooster adaptation that breakfast at a country house party was portrayed as it should be - no set time, no staff (you helped yourself from a buffet arrangement), and certainly no conversation with any fellow breakfaster expected or desired. One was not expected to be on form until lunch.
Homburg

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:36 am

There is something magical about having your breakfast served on real china; that scenario determines my choice of the best places to go.
  • Information