PATTERNED TROUSERS SOLID JACKET

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
rodes

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:35 pm

A few years ago, Etutee commented on the above ensemble as being a lost art. Though rare, it can be quite elegant and striking in a very tasteful way. It is the look of formal and semi-formal day wear, yet it is a smart style when seen in casual setting. Even in the London Lounge we rarely see it. Do fellow Loungers favor this option and how often do they employ it?
Alistair72

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:58 pm

I have a pair of check grey tweed trousers I wear with a blue blazer.

My tailor had a check flannel (dark grey) and a matching shade (but not check) grey coat that inspired me. Sadly he sold all the flannel.

I like it. But as I am new into this my opinion may not count for much...
alden

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Rodes

Combining patterned trousers with plain odd coats is a great look. I think these days tweed trousers matched with either plain jumpers, polo necks, herringbone tweed coats or heavy flannel coats work best.

On the other hand, the idea of simulating formal daytime attire (Morning dress) by combining striped trousers with either plain coats or strollers comes off as antiquated.

Cheers

Michael Alden
rodes

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:49 am

I completely agree Michael. Striped trousers go best with formal day wear. However, I have never had occasion to wear this. For all semi-formal day and casual wear I go with the checked trouser.
  • Information