Canada Bespoked...

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

someotherstyle

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:10 pm

OK, so having limited access to Master Tailors in Canada, I am curious if anyone here knows of any tailors qualified and capable of making bespoke tailoring in Western Canada?

Or am I going to have to make one of those famous "Business" trips to Italy?

Thanks in advance,
MK
townie

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:01 pm

I am not sure about Alberta, but in Vancouver there is David Wilkes and for made-to-measure Pat Cocco of Seville Tailors. Both have web sites. There are bespoke tailors in Toronto and Montreal as well, such as Marcello Tarantino. If you don't mind a quick trip to Chicago or New York you could meet Edwin DeBoise or many other travelling tailors. Edwin has made a number of jackets and a couple of suits for me over the last few years and I combine a short holiday in NYC with a fitting. I'm certainly not wealthy and bespoke tailoring is definitely a luxury for me but I have found it worth any inconvenience and far better value for money than off-the-rack at Harry Rosen or Holt Renfrew.
someotherstyle

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:08 am

I was under the impression that Pat Cocco did full bespoke, not MTM... perhaps I have been deceived???

As for David Wilkes, he seems to be unproven, and his designs seem.... well... not to my taste.

I do find the mention of Edwin DeBoise interesting. Would you happen to have any additional information for me?
couch

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:36 am

If Chicago is not beyond reach (for Edwin), consider also Chris Despos . . . . He's based there, so scheduling might be more flexible.
Yale Cameron

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Gian DiCaro is in Seattle. I would think that would be the closest city and I believe that he does full bespoke and is well respected.
Yale Cameron

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:03 pm

someother style, I just learned that Jonathan Quearney of London travels twice a year to Vancouver. I know nothing of his quality, but he apparently trained under thomas Mahon before going out on his own.

http://www.jonathanquearney.com/Interna ... ravel.html
Nameless_1

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:47 am

I don't know about Alberta, but in Montreal, I've tried a few and always go back to G. Tonino, who learned the trade as a kid in Milan.

Regards,

Jean

/edited for spelling
Last edited by Nameless_1 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
someotherstyle

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:14 am

Thank you for everyone's suggestions so far. I'm still on an ongoing quest to find someone that can do the job. I'll keep you posted.

Mike
  • Information