The Rake: A Review

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

zeitgeist

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 am

tteplitzmd wrote:Lots of recycled information from the same small stable of writers. It has become tedious to read already.
Wow.

Perhaps you should pick up a fiction book then. You may find something completely original and non-'recycled' in it.

After all, what new things have happened in mens fashion in the last 50 years? :roll:
tteplitzmd

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 pm

The conflation of RTW and bespoke in each issue suggests a lack of direction by the editors. Besides how many Swiss watches in Singapore shopping malls can you check out? Poorly edited as well, as noted by others.
zeitgeist

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:43 pm

tteplitzmd wrote:The conflation of RTW and bespoke in each issue suggests a lack of direction by the editors.
The conflation of RTW and bespoke is a 'lack of direction'? You're kidding, right?

I did not realise the magazine was called 'Bespoke Bimonthly', or 'The RTW Reader'.

It is a men's luxury magazine, which is why - in case you haven't noticed - there are articles on various men the editors presumably found of sartorial note, holiday locations, hotels, dogs, fathers, cars, leathergoods, pens, watches, etc. I have the first ever issue on my desk now. Yep, right there in the first ever editorial outlining their aims is the phrase 'luxury men's magazine'.

By no means is it 'perfect', but I invite you to recommend a magazine which covers the issue of (ostensibly) 'timeless' men's style and its associated desiderata better than The Rake.
tteplitzmd wrote:Besides how many Swiss watches in Singapore shopping malls can you check out? Poorly edited as well, as noted by others.
You really are pretty clueless, huh?

This hardly qualifies for the :roll: emoticon, more the full blown 'facepalm' meme.

I suggest that you take a step back, and perhaps broaden your horizons (or travel a bit) before... posting things which have the potential to embarrass yourself.
tteplitzmd

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:08 pm

My opinion is that it's a men's "luxury" magazine for poseurs. If you want a fine Swiss watch there are already better magazines available. If you want travel periodicals, there are already better publications. If you are interested in classic or high end automobiles, there are many more current publications, etc. If you are interested in RTW... Let the market decide over the next few years.
alden

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:25 pm

BREAK!..................... :D
storeynicholas

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Round 8! :shock:
NJS
S. Gillette

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 pm

Boxing gear, anyone?
tteplitzmd

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:19 pm

I've read several of Manself's articles, and recall his sartorial holiday essay specifically. Very nicely done. U.K. Esquire has some good stuff, and is very well edited. So, no jokes about The Rake being found in the gardening or waste disposal section of the newstand?
mmkn2

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Like another men's leisure magazine I used to own, I only read The Rake for the written articles :D .

- M
andreyb

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:22 am

tteplitzmd wrote:The magazine seems to be one repeating infomercial for: a) Tom Ford b) Rubinacci c) Swiss watches d) all of the above.
The correct answer is 'd,' all of the above. Lots of recycled information from the same small stable of writers. It has become tedious to read already.
As a reader (and subscriber) from the very first issue, I have to agree with this opinion.

The last issue (with Tom Ford on cover) in incredibly bland...

Andrey
Costi

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:29 pm

The magazine industry is going through very difficult times (that started well before the "crisis" and were only aggravated by it). It has become a matter of survival, so they are going on "survival mode", which often means giving priority to the immediate goal of cashing in some money for (poor) advertising (including hidden advertising, masked advertorials etc.), to the detriment of better quality (but less lucrative) editorial content - which is, of course, suicidal on the long term, because the very audience that brings in the advertisers today will be gone in less than a year if it doesn't find anything interesting to read. It is very hard to make choices under such circumstances. One may discuss the ability of the management to keep the ship afloat on such rough seas, but it is difficult to judge the editorial capacity of a team in such a situation. I should add that mine are general considerations, as I have not read any number of the magazine in question.
Simon A

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:31 am

Last edited by Simon A on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andreyb

Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:35 am

I pay quite dearly (by any standards) for the privilege to read The Rake... :evil:

Andrey
zeitgeist

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:29 am

The present issue of The Rake (#8) is extremely disappointing.
Costi

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 am

Why?
  • Information