Bed Linen

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Twain

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Gentlemen,

I am a Schlossberg man since many years but would be very interested to hear the membership views on this topic.

Regards,

Twain
Bishop of Briggs

Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Twain wrote:Gentlemen,

I am a Schlossberg man since many years but would be very interested to hear the membership views on this topic.

Regards,

Twain
I have not come across Schlossberg in the UK. Most of my bed linen is by Ralph Lauren, bought in the January sales.
Costi

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:56 am

I could not find good bed linen to match the size of my 150-years old bed (box spring and wool mattress) that I won't change, until I discovred that my shirtmaker does an excellent job of sewing "bespoke" bed linen. Plus you get to choose the fabric: nothing compares to linen (rather than "cotton linens"), particularly in summer.
Bishop of Briggs

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Costi wrote:I could not find good bed linen to match the size of my 150-years old bed (box spring and wool mattress) that I won't change, until I discovred that my shirtmaker does an excellent job of sewing "bespoke" bed linen. Plus you get to choose the fabric: nothing compares to linen (rather than "cotton linens"), particularly in summer.
Linen is fantastic in the summer but, in my experience, requires more maintenance - great if you have servants or a wife who loves ironing.
Costi

Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Bishop of Briggs wrote: Linen is fantastic in the summer but, in my experience, requires more maintenance - great if you have servants or a wife who loves ironing.
Indeed. I am not married... :D
I do like to iron a shirt every now and then - it helps me put my thoughts in order - but ironing linen sheets would feel like a punishment.
Bishop of Briggs

Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:53 pm

Costi wrote:
Bishop of Briggs wrote: Linen is fantastic in the summer but, in my experience, requires more maintenance - great if you have servants or a wife who loves ironing.
Indeed. I am not married... :D
I do like to iron a shirt every now and then - it helps me put my thoughts in order - but ironing linen sheets would feel like a punishment.
This lady would make you a good wife and, of course, a great suit!

Join the queue! :D
Costi

Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Thank you, but a wife and a tailor is too high a bet on a single card :)
BirdofSydney

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:24 am

To revive an old discussion, I wonder whether anyone could recommend to me a maker of linen bedding?

I see from a cursory inspection that prices vary, and I'm not really sure how much to spend. The temptation to have some LL linen made up into sheets is there, but for the width of the cloth...
Costi

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 am

Linen for bed sheets is woven 2.2 m wide, so there would be no uncomfortable seams...
However, an LL "unlimited edition" of bed linen would be quite something! Given the amount of cloth needed to make one set, it sounds very feasible. Supreme luxury!
rodes

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Costi,
Sorry that I missed your post of 12/25/09 for I would advise you to recalculate. Suppose you only got a tailor, would it not be worth the risk? Even better, who would care about a tailor with such a wife? You would most likely get at least one and perhaps both. The odds are in your favor, my friend.
Costi

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:00 pm

But the consequences of losing both in one blow would be disastruous :shock:
cathach

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Costi wrote:Linen for bed sheets is woven 2.2 m wide, so there would be no uncomfortable seams...
However, an LL "unlimited edition" of bed linen would be quite something! Given the amount of cloth needed to make one set, it sounds very feasible. Supreme luxury!

Costi,

Please forgive me for correcting you but I think you'll find that linen for bedding is woven at 300cm wide in order to have one piece of cloth, from top to bottom.

Depending on the size of your bed I find it best to order lengths and have them hemmed, this will enable you to get the correct size for your bed and more importantly the depth of your mattress.

I can recommend http://www.vintage-mood.co.uk/ for great prices on Irish linen for bedding especially on orders of over 10 metres. You would probably need at least (in my case 14m) that much in order to make two sets of sheets (top and bottom).

If you leave the sheets hemmed plainly i.e. without elastic corners then you will have the advantage of wearing your sheets evenly, as the one on the bottom always wears out sooner.

Other companies will make sets of sheets if you provide the dimensions such as http://www.fergusonsirishlinen.com/, http://www.purpleandfine.com/, http://www.givans.co.uk/

And another thing, why on earth do you need to iron sheets? Its this kind of tyranny that has led to the abomination that is polycotton bedding.
Rowly

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:52 am

Cathach,
Have you any experience with the Huckaback towels from Vintage-moods? They look very interesting. Also, do they provide a hemming service for sheets, or do you need to get this done yourself? Great links...thanks!
cathach

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Rowly wrote:Cathach,
Have you any experience with the Huckaback towels from Vintage-moods? They look very interesting. Also, do they provide a hemming service for sheets, or do you need to get this done yourself? Great links...thanks!

The main strength of the vintage-moods service is in selling lengths of cloth especially over the 5m and 10m thresholds for wholesale prices depending on the fabric. As far as I know they do not offer a hemming service. When I inquired at an alterations tailor I was told that sheets could be hemmed with elasticated corners (for a bottom sheet) for E10.

I have huckabuck towels myself and much prefer them to cotton. They dry a lot quicker and linen towels are much used in Scandinavian countries for their exfoliating/massaging (sauna?) qualities as well.

Here are a few sites that give the shtick on linen terry towels. I think the huckabuck ones are that bit more frictive than a towel with a terry weave:
http://www.rawganique.com/towelscolor.htm
http://www.manufactum.com/three-ply-lin ... -p1401787/
http://www.jokipiinpellava.fi/
alden

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:14 pm

For anyone who may not be ready for linen sheets (the ultimate), you can start by having a seamstress make you some bedclothes in linen, pjs, yukata, shorts..whatever you wear to bed. You will not go back to cotton. :D

Cheers
  • Information