Young and Bespoke

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Simon

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:08 pm

Whilst not an affectation they woiuld not be appropriate for the suit David has so admirably specified.
Thank you for the response. Could you help me understand why this is the case - I rather like the sound of the suit as detailed, but would add a waistcoat given the choice. Is it that this (that the waistcoat, or a DB suit) would hide the braces from view and therefore make it appropriate, or is there something else I'm missing?
S.Otto

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:16 am

I, just like you, began to work with a tailor recently. I've been saving and am currently waiting for an odd coat. I have yet to get a full suit. I never really needed one. I am content with the bespoke hand-me-downs from my god father. As I get ready to graduate I will need to purchase at least a few suits. I usually will tone down my attire for casual occasions but refuse to be forced to dress like the masses. I'm no longer in high school and I will not try to fit in. My friends rarely care they just think it is my one vice.

My Wishlist:
Charcoal DB herringbone
3 piece Navy herringbone
Medium Gray SBPL

all with a fishtail back single forward pleat except the last one will be a flat front.
DFR

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:47 am

Simon wrote:
Whilst not an affectation they would not be appropriate for the suit David has so admirably specified.
Thank you for the response. Could you help me understand why this is the case - I rather like the sound of the suit as detailed, but would add a waistcoat given the choice. Is it that this (that the waistcoat, or a DB suit) would hide the braces from view and therefore make it appropriate, or is there something else I'm missing?

Very simply because David has chosen a more informal suit: That is a fine idea and not one for anyone to criticise by implication or directly.

Formal suits have their place but matters of life style must come before arcane rules which some people think should be followed regardless of one's intentions and preferences..
storeynicholas

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:00 pm

DFR wrote:
Simon wrote:
Whilst not an affectation they would not be appropriate for the suit David has so admirably specified.

Very simply because David has chosen a more informal suit: That is a fine idea and not one for anyone to criticise by implication or directly.

Formal suits have their place but matters of life style must come before arcane rules which some people think should be followed regardless of one's intentions and preferences..
Rules, arcane or not, have a place in the making of life-style decisions just as they do in a battle or in a game of chess. It is when the rules are no longer even known or are disregarded for some irrelevant consideration (or even just for the hell of it) that pandemonium is likely to break out. A simple example is to be seen in the state of the British economy: if bankers had concerned themselves more with the established rules and criteria for lending money and far less with making obscene amounts of quick profit, the British economy would not now be resident at No 1 Queer Street, where it has taken a long lease at (out of necessity) a peppercorn rent. :shock:
NJS
OldBill

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 pm

>>Unfortunately, I have lost quite a bit of weight in two and a half weeks. Apparently two inches from the waist, and one inch from the chest. However, the cutter said it should pose no problem, and such changes can be addressed in the four fittings. <<

Interestingly various people have warned me about weight gain over my 50 years (much of which I have ignored!) but when my first bespoke suit started to feel a little tight and my tailor told me he would not alter it & I would be better of losing a stone that was all the incentive i needed.

Having paid for a good suit it behoves us to stay in shape!
DFR

Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:11 pm

Is DHRF lost to us - if not how did the suit turn out?
  • Information