Sims & McDonald Master Tailor

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Vidar

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Gentlemen !

Please tell me if you have any experience with the London Master Tailor Sims & McDonalds. Visiting their home page I have to say that the prices they are offeriing are a little more alluring then those of the Row.

Vidar
Bishop of Briggs

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:26 am

Sims & McDonald have a good reputation. You should also consider Connock & Lockie across the road - a bit dearer but, according to customers, worth it.
Simon

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:10 pm

Sims and McDonald also have a sign in the window (a new addition) stating that they will make a bespoke suit starting from £750, and can offer interest-free payment options if you require them. Certainly the former, and potentially the latter, make it a very alluring option when compared to Row pricing.
gherrmann

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:31 pm

Bishop of Briggs wrote:Sims & McDonald have a good reputation. You should also consider Connock & Lockie across the road - a bit dearer but, according to customers, worth it.
With apologies for threatening to veer off the intended course of this thread, but has anyone had any recent experience with Connock & Lockie? I seem to recall reading of the unfortunate passing of their head cutter some time within the past two years or so, and of some suggestions of an attendant uncertainty as to the future operations of the firm.
Bishop of Briggs

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:01 am

I believe that the father of the sadly deceased cutter has taken back control of the business.
Vidar

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Thank you all for replying ! I am going to London in April with the intention of visiting a tailor for my first bespoke. I think I will make a appointment with Sims & McDonald.. .
Winot

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 pm

gherrmann wrote: With apologies for threatening to veer off the intended course of this thread, but has anyone had any recent experience with Connock & Lockie? I seem to recall reading of the unfortunate passing of their head cutter some time within the past two years or so, and of some suggestions of an attendant uncertainty as to the future operations of the firm.
Connock & Lockie are making a sports jacket for me (previously they have made only my shirts). It is rather complicated with an action back, but looks to be shaping up superbly. I have had the first fitting and am going back for the second tomorrow. However it has been *very* slow - I was measured and paid the deposit on 28 July 2008.
gherrmann

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:53 pm

Winot wrote: Connock & Lockie are making a sports jacket for me (previously they have made only my shirts). It is rather complicated with an action back, but looks to be shaping up superbly. I have had the first fitting and am going back for the second tomorrow. However it has been *very* slow - I was measured and paid the deposit on 28 July 2008.
Thanks for the information, Winot. Do you have any sense of what the future holds for the firm? If the head cutter was forced to come back from retirement, I can't imagine that his return was envisioned as a long-term solution.

Best,

-gabe
Winot

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:01 pm

gherrmann wrote:
Winot wrote: Connock & Lockie are making a sports jacket for me (previously they have made only my shirts). It is rather complicated with an action back, but looks to be shaping up superbly. I have had the first fitting and am going back for the second tomorrow. However it has been *very* slow - I was measured and paid the deposit on 28 July 2008.
Thanks for the information, Winot. Do you have any sense of what the future holds for the firm? If the head cutter was forced to come back from retirement, I can't imagine that his return was envisioned as a long-term solution.

Best,

-gabe
I'm afraid I don't - Mr Craig pere has an assistant (a pleasant young Japanese chap) but I don't get the impression he is being lined up as a replacement.
JRLT

Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 am

The £750 poster is no longer in the window of Sims & M. However, they are running an offer whereby you get a 10% discount if you pay a 50% deposit. I recently ordered a suit from them on this basis and will be interested to see how it turns out. The price is more than 50% less than SR so if the qulaity is up to scratch I could become a regular customer.
CERoch

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:23 pm

[quote="Vidar"]Gentlemen !

Please tell me if you have any experience with the London Master Tailor Sims & McDonalds. Visiting their home page I have to say that the prices they are offeriing are a little more alluring then those of the Row.

In reply to your Curiosity of Sims and MacDonald, I do own a number of their suits and I find them a pleasure to wear.
Their Prices are very alluring, this might be due to their type of customer, The City Gent! The type of gentleman who invests! With my suits I find them extremely hard wearing, comfortable and of a sound nature. A good investment, in these uneasy times.
They are fully canvased, not fused. They cut all garments on the premises and are made in London. They are not being farmed out to China to cut costs.
They are a small company, but by the amount of cloth that is waiting to be cut and sewn each time I visit, It is not only me that they are pleasing.

CERoch.
  • Information