Does water quality matter in making cloth?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

shredder

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:05 pm

I have heard or read on several occasions that superior quality textile manufacturers developed in places like Yorkshire partly because of the quality of the local water supply; the water quality is said to be an important contributor to the resulting cloth. It just so happens that an offline dialogue about the Japanese appreciating high quality cloth reminded me of the fact that woolen cloth woven in Japan tend to be of pedestrian quality.

I do not believe that in Japan there is deficiency in skill with respect to spinning the yarns and weaving the cloth. Equipment and machinery is certainly available. (As an aside, when Dormeuil did a limited revival run of the Tonik in its original formula, their Japanese partner in the promotion Isetan Department Stores who brought the idea to them sought out someone in Japan with the requisite machinery, which apparently no longer exists in England, to spin the yarn so that Dormeuil can have the cloth woven in Yorkshire.) This leaves me to think that the water theory is true.

So how exactly does water come into play, assuming that the theory is true?
Joshua Byrne

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:39 pm

The quality of the water is in the finishing of the cloth, which requires the softest water available, thus meaning less soaps and other solutions are required in order to finish it successfully, and thus it leaves a softer finish, and denser hand, because these abrasive solutions damage the surface otherwise.
alden

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:46 am

If you drive along the Tweed river in the Borders country of Scotland you will see what remains of all the mills that were built directly on the river to use the water for power and finishing. Today, the mills have moved to more convenient locations, but the finishers are still close to the water.

M Alden
shredder

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:05 am

Many thanks for the replies. The water hardness makes sense, so as the part it plays in finishing. Very interesting.
ajoman

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:12 am

I have noticed similar things in comparing oriental fabrics to fabrics made in areas such as Lake Como. The later tend to be softer and drape better. I would also suggest that this true for other things, such as Irish whiskey. I have heard that the quality and differentiation between whiskeys has gone down in recent years as the water supply is longer natural.
le.gentleman

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:34 am

Joshua Byrne wrote:The quality of the water is in the finishing of the cloth, which requires the softest water available, thus meaning less soaps and other solutions are required in order to finish it successfully, and thus it leaves a softer finish, and denser hand, because these abrasive solutions damage the surface otherwise.
In theory, that would be distilled water. Would it be too expensive to use it?
  • Information