Thank you for you service

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Cufflink79

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:50 pm

Dear Felllow Friends of the London Lounge:

Today in the United States on November 11th we observe Veterans Day. I'd just like to take the time to thank all members of the United States Armed Forces for their faith and service to our country not just for today but, everyday past, present, & future thank you.

To members that served outside the USA, thank you for your faith and service to your country as well.

Like a well made classically styled bespoke suit, faith and service to the country never goes out of style.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Cufflink79

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 pm

The title should say "Thank you for YOUR service", forgot the r sorry. :oops:

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Trey

Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:55 am

Cufflink:

I echo your thanks. While on the subject of "Veterans Day", why not commingle our thoughts of "Veterans" and classical dress and consider the many influences that our various nations' military apparel have had on our dress. Many thoughts come to mind - khaki's, navy blazers, etc. Let's explore more examples.

Trey
Cufflink79

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:31 pm

I've always liked the look of a navel uniform, dark suit & tie, white shirt, brass buttons, and gold rings on the cuffs.

In the beginning of the movie "Operation Petticoat" Cary Grant who plays Lt. Cmdr. Matt T. Sherman who is now Admiral Sherman is visiting the old ship when he steps out of the car I noticed that he is wearing cuff links with his uniform.

Another time I saw a navel officer with cuff links on was in the beginning of the 007 movie "The Spy Who Loved Me", in which he was on the phone and I saw his cuffs exposed.

The uniforms in the movies were not the full white dress or tux, but what I had mentioned above in the first two lines. Were the cuff links added for the movies, or do officers really wear cuff links to work?

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
radicaldog

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Officers can wear cuffilnks to work, if they acquire non-regulation shirts. In the Italian Army that is not uncommon. For example, my father did occasionally wear French-cuffed shirts with his uniform (the uniforms themselves were mostly bespoke). Typical cufflinks to be worn with uniforsm are enamel ones in regimental colours. Jewelry cufflinks would be inappropriate except perhaps with evening uniform.
wegimental

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 am

Gentlemen,
I regret my tardy response. One of my most precious possessions is a pair of Regulation U.S. Navy Cuff links worn by my father during World War Two. They were a part of the service blue uniform. Sometime between now and then ordinary plastic buttons came along as a matter of practicality. Today cuff links, quite plain and gold in color, are used for evening dress or black tie equivalent functions. As Cufflink 79 has pointed out my USN regulation WWII veteran links are sometimes, a conversation starter, especially on someone (me) who spent 28 years in the ARMY ![/img]
Atlantic Sailor

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:46 am

Cufflink79 wrote: The uniforms in the movies were not the full white dress or tux, but what I had mentioned above in the first two lines. Were the cuff links added for the movies, or do officers really wear cuff links to work?
As a former USN naval officer, I have the (relatively) current answer on that question. At least how it is on my side of the pond.

Gold cufflinks are optional but not prescribable for the USN service dress blue uniform (blue/black blazer, black pants and white frame cap). Meaning that if you have them, you can wear them but your superiors cannot require you to do so.

In practice, no one wears the plain gold ones offered by the exchange, but provide their own "professional" ones that pass the reasonable man test. I'd wear either square ones with the officer crest on them or oval enameled RN ones. Some of my shipmates have ones from previous commands or exchange tours they did with other countries. Commanding Officers are pretty accepting of any of service related design or those who chose the unadorned ones. I've never seen anyone try to wear novelty ones except on dining ins/mess nights.
Ulysses

Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:01 am

Here are two options where you might be able to acquire said cufflinks, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.gievesandhawkesmilitary.com/ ... llery.html
http://www.smartturnout.co.uk/acatalog/ ... _40_C.html

Ulysses
  • Information