Madder silk neckties

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Concordia

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:30 am

I just got a few. They are pretty decent, but without that somewhat smoky, fuzzy look that I associate with madder silk. Also, the linings could be a tad more substantial.

On the other hand, the cashmere striped ties they have are quite nice. Quite the match for a soft navy sport jacket-- kind of a faux blazer to complement the fuzzy repp pattern.
Jordan Marc

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:10 am

Carl, for gorgeous linings suitable for overcoats, suits or odd jackets, have a look at the Harrisons of Edinburgh site. They have a book of
plain and fancy linings from the fine old firm of Lear, Browne and
Dunsford. You can make an inquiry about linings or anything else
made by Harrisons, and they might send you some cuttings. Tailors
love Harrisons, so you might find the lining book at your favorite
tailor with larger samples to savor.

Silk really isn't suitable for linings. It's hot and it doesn't last very long.
Speaking of which, there was a passing fad years ago for lining blazers
with Hermes silk scarves. Loud, very perishable, and a great waste of
money.

JMB
carl browne

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:44 am

JM

Thank you.

I thought of the Hermes thing, but somehow, my tailor was able to steer me away from it without me being aware of it. Obviously a good man.

I will look at the things you suggested.
edhayes

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:08 am

Hermes pochettes make lovely pocket squares
Rossini

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:33 pm

I must say the Drake's ones are beautiful. I've put one on my Christmas list!
Bishop of Briggs

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi Rossini

Glad to see you on here.

Best wishes

BoB
Rossini

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:48 pm

Hi Bishop -

And you too! It looks like I have been drawn back from hibernation by a combination of a love of clothing (madder silks being one of the most recent) and a genuine feeling that a seismic shift may be afoot in at least one of these so-called fora where a groundswell might actually result in a change for the better.

I must admit I had a real pang of disappointment a couple of weeks ago when I realised I felt I no longer had a home to post pictures of my newly arrived Vass F Last Norweger Boots. But, to quote many a pop lyricist, the feeling is gone.
Bishop of Briggs

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:35 am

I had also noticed the rather lively discussion on Mr Gilchrist's forum. Sadly, I am no longer welcome there because I dared to protest too much about its decline. C'est la vie. I have learned more on this forum than any other and have great respect for Mr Alden and our colleagues.

Returning to the thread subject, I prefer to puchase items in shops rather than online. Patterns can look very different when you see them in daylight or even electric light. Emma Willis does not appear to stock the Drake madders. I would therefore be grateful if anyone could suggest another retailer in central London.

I also ask whether Drake makes for Budd? It's been a while since I was in town and I cannot recall whether the Budd's madders were the same as those on Drake's website. IIRC, Budd had more designs in the window.
Scot

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:21 am

Bishop of Briggs wrote:I had also noticed the rather lively discussion on Mr Gilchrist's forum. Sadly, I am no longer welcome there because I dared to protest too much about its decline. C'est la vie. I have learned more on this forum than any other and have great respect for Mr Alden and our colleagues.

Returning to the thread subject, I prefer to puchase items in shops rather than online. Patterns can look very different when you see them in daylight or even electric light. Emma Willis does not appear to stock the Drake madders. I would therefore be grateful if anyone could suggest another retailer in central London.

I also ask whether Drake makes for Budd? It's been a while since I was in town and I cannot recall whether the Budd's madders were the same as those on Drake's website. IIRC, Budd had more designs in the window.
You will find a selection of Drake Madders in Selfridges. I purchased one online - it is certainly lovely material but the tie itself is a little narrow for my liking, producing a rather small knot.
Bishop of Briggs

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:31 am

Scot wrote:You will find a selection of Drake Madders in Selfridges. I purchased one online - it is certainly lovely material but the tie itself is a little narrow for my liking, producing a rather small knot.
Many thanks. I like small knots so a visit to Selfridges is scheduled for Wednesday!
Rossini

Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Presumably if you like the madder silk but not the dimensions of the tie and assuming you are particularly keen then there is the option of getting them to make some up for you with the desired measurements.

I've noticed a lot of small knots this season. Some Zegnas are down almost a full inch from the height of their width. I wonder if it is some kind of psuedo-economic indicator.
JDelage

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:16 pm

Is there a good source to buy those ties online? It's much more convenient for me...
ER

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:48 pm

Don't know anything about the company but their Madder ties are reduced from £50 to £15 and £2 postage.

http://www.englishsilkties.co.uk/index.html
Scot

Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:34 pm

JDelage wrote:Is there a good source to buy those ties online? It's much more convenient for me...
Drakes

Don't have the web address to hand but google will get you there!
belimad

Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:46 pm

Scot wrote:
JDelage wrote:Is there a good source to buy those ties online? It's much more convenient for me...
Drakes

Don't have the web address to hand but google will get you there!
http://shoponline.drakes-london.com/webshopping.aspx
  • Information