CRUISES

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
charles

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:51 pm

Please give me the low down..if I go on a cruise I don't want to be trapped in a living hell for 3 weeks,,,to be blunt- which companies do civilized people use to travel with? I live in the UK.
Manself

Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:48 pm

Surely civilized people don't go on cruises any more. My understanding (relatives having recently been on Crystal Serenity) is that none of them are any good. Sorry to write with bad news.
Trey

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Gentlemen:

I cruise often - by necessity - not choice - e.g. large family holiday gatherings with children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. What do you seek in a cruise? Although we usually stay in nice club level rooms, we do not travel on more intimate upscale lines. We use Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Celebrity, Disney, Carnival, etc. Holland Ameirca's club level was nice. The clientale was older.

Most passengers on these lines have had the manners of uncivilized farm animals. We cruise because we must. Cruising is not my first choice. I much prefer staying at an upscale, smaller resort, of which we have stayed at many.

My highlights are when my wife and two sons don their "formal" attire. My sons have had tuxedos, velvet slippers, etc. since they were two. They, when paired with my beautiful wife, get much well-deserved attention when we cruise. I must say I enjoy relaxing with a glass of Armagnac and great pride and enjoying the spectacle. For that reason alone, despite cruising's problems, it has created priceless memories.

I would post a photo, but do not know how to. Suggestions?

Trey
storeynicholas

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:56 pm

Trey - download photobucket.com and create an account. Go to the homepage and click 'select image' - browse your files for the picture and upload it. Then just click on Img (above here) in your message box and then go to photobucket and click on the Im Code box under the photo - it then copies the picture - return to your message and right click and paste.
NJS
Guille

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Trey wrote: Most passengers on these lines have had the manners of uncivilized farm animals.

I agree completely from my own experience.
Trey wrote:I must say I enjoy relaxing with a glass of Armagnac
Ah, another Armagnac lover, here we have something in common. Which is your favourite, if I may ask?
Trey

Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:56 pm

NJS - Let's see if I am in the twenty-first century. Hopefully here is the picture. Image

Guille - My Armagnac choices are few. Some favorites at three price points are:
* Chatueau du Busca Hors d'Age Cigare Tenareze - An under $100 "bargain"
* Marie Duffau Napoleon Bas - An everyday at around $30
* Vendome Platinum V.S.O.P. Brandy - A great under $15 deal.

Trey[/img]
storeynicholas

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Trey - it took me longer to figure out photobucket - great picture.
NJS
Costi

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Wonderful picture, Trey. The small dinner jackets are absolute jewels :D
marcelo

Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:24 pm

Such a nice sartorial triumvirate!
Costi

Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Hehe - an inspired choice of words :D
HappyStroller

Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:40 pm

Perhaps very elegant living may be experienced aboard those majestic British liner cruiseships such as the QEII. Formal dress, ballroom dining, candlelight dining, fine wine, POSH cabins, live orchestras, impressive floorshows, etc.
sta

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:46 pm

A photo that speaks of a magnificent holiday. :) .
It has reminded me of a picture that I found of my Grandfather - taken in Butlins during the early 50's. Gentlemen seated at the dining tables are wearing suits with pocket squares! Infrequently seen there now I shouldn't wonder.
Trey

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:46 pm

Charles -

The August 2008 Conde Naste Traveler had a good section on choosing the right cruise. It reviewed small, medium, large, and river cruise ships. The review covered number of passengers and the best types of cruises for: families with kids, sybarites, eternal students, foodies, multi-generaltional, night owls, romantics, nature lovers, landlubbers, spa goers, and water sports enthusiasts. Hopefully this helps. Bon voyage!

Trey
ProfMoriarty

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:47 pm

Trey: Does the magazine actually use the word "sybarite" to characterize those pleasure seeking voluptuaries and their cruises? If so, I will get the magazine for that reason alone. I love that word. (It is one of the few that has both Greek and Latin roots.) Let me know. Thanks. Jack
Trey

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:30 am

Prof Moriarty:

Sybarite is its own category in the review. What a great word.

Trey
  • Information