For your consideration

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

mafoofan

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:32 am

In Naples with Luca Rubinacci:

First day as a (yet to be admitted to the Bar) lawyer:

Second day of work:

Frank comments are welcome!
alden

Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:56 am

Dear Mafoofan

You are well dressed. (That is a compliment.)

It appears that the lapel width of the last two photos is wider than those in the first pic with Luca. This is probably an optical illusion and all three coats are the same width. In any case, I would have you in narrower lapel, probably a full centimeter or more.

The second comment regards your shirts' collars. In all three photos I see a knot that is strangled due to a lack of tie space. A ditta of tie space will help. In the first photo it seems you are wearing a collar (bombarozza). This style collar requires the large knot that Romans and Neapolitans favor. You are right to wear a smaller knot but its lost with that collar. In the second photo the collar needs tie space and the points could be a tad more closed. When you give a collar tie space you can also close the points a bit and the result will still appear open.

The Neapolitan cut trousers suit you well.

You have some nice clothes to frame the shirt/tie combination. The only place I see a need for urgent attention is in the shirts and their collars.

Cheers

M Alden
Mark Seitelman

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:55 pm

Congratulations.

Where are you working? What type of practice? You can send me a private message.

You'll be better dressed than 99% of the NY lawyers.

I am of the old school, and I feel more comfortable in a business suit. The sportscoat looks too "Saturday in the office" for me. However, it is a vast improvement over the too tight Lacoste shirts worn by my middle age brethern at the bar.

Good luck.
pchong

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:49 am

very nice...congratulations.

I particularly liked the look in the first 2 pictures. Superb.
marcelo

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:16 am

Very nice garments! The second one pleases me most, though the photo does not have the favourable light conditions you have profited from in the first photo. What? Haven’t you seen the recent thread on how to take pictures?

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/vie ... ght=#36342
mafoofan

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:54 am

Here's another:

marcelo

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:15 am

That is great! And – imho – you look much better without sun glasses. I would join Mr Alden opinion as far as the lapel is concerned.
pvpatty

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:40 am

Indeed, the collar in the second photo seems to be of a better proportion.
dopey

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:22 pm

If you are fishing for compliments, you've chosen good bait. Nice stuff.
rjman

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:41 pm

dopey wrote:If you are fishing for compliments, you've chosen good bait. Nice stuff.
+1. You are making this nouveau pauvre lawyer jealous, although it is more at the Knoll sofa. The suits appear of excellent cut, so you should be happy and smile more. (My goodness, the snark really has been bottled up, sorry.) The shirts (esp. the collars) do appear a bit... incongruous... with the suits.
soupcon

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:33 pm

I have yet to see you looking comfortable in your clothes,Mafoofan.They are lovely garments,but they sure add nothing to the look you present to the world, and the clothes are wearing you in the top two photos.

I'll even recommend that you not bother with bespoke until that day when you look at ease in what you have on.
RWS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:55 pm

The clothes do look nice, Mafoofan. Though you don't appear at ease, that might be attributable more to the camera (some folk don't like being photographed) than to the clothes. Assuming that, all that really bothers me is the "high-water pants": I don't like trousers that don't touch the shoes worn beneath. But, to each his own.
whnay.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:29 pm

Matt, I like them all for different reasons but agree generally that the lapel should be slightly narrowed.

Relax and smile, not many folks have the opportunity to wear these clothes!
Cufflink79

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 pm

mafoofan wrote:Here's another:

Dear Mafoofan:

What a great jacket, I'm thinking of an endless amounts of use for it.

From ties to ascots, or no tie at all.

Various types of sporting theme cuff links to wear with it.

Also I'm thinking various paisley pocket squares as well.

I wish you many years of great service from that jacket.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
mafoofan

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:40 am

dopey wrote:If you are fishing for compliments, you've chosen good bait. Nice stuff.
Of course I'm fishing for compliments :). Aren't vanity and insecurity the double hallmarks of an internet gentleman?

Seriously, though, thanks for the comments. Input is appreciated because I'm always trying to learn. I have noted the concerns about my collars and lapels, although I admittedly don't mind being a little eccentric.

For now, some more bait:

RJ, I can confirm that the couch is a dream.
  • Information