Retrocentrics' Club Emblem and Tie

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

toad

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:21 pm

bow tie please
storeynicholas

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:00 pm

Despite the fact that I should have asked Michael Alden for permission to suggest the Retrocentric Club as part of the LL, he has very kindly said that it may be founded here. As the LL is his invention anyway, suggesting that he be Life President of the Retrocentric Club hardly offers him anything new but it would be a small tribute to him for giving us the LL as a place in which to meet congenial people and share our knowledge and friendship.
NJS
Frog in Suit

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:49 pm

storeynicholas wrote:Despite the fact that I should have asked Michael Alden for permission to suggest the Retrocentric Club as part of the LL, he has very kindly said that it may be founded here. As the LL is his invention anyway, suggesting that he be Life President of the Retrocentric Club hardly offers him anything new but it would be a small tribute to him for giving us the LL as a place in which to meet congenial people and share our knowledge and friendship.
NJS
An excellent idea. I would like to second.

Frog in Suit
marcelo

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Frog in Suit wrote:
storeynicholas wrote:Despite the fact that I should have asked Michael Alden for permission to suggest the Retrocentric Club as part of the LL, he has very kindly said that it may be founded here. As the LL is his invention anyway, suggesting that he be Life President of the Retrocentric Club hardly offers him anything new but it would be a small tribute to him for giving us the LL as a place in which to meet congenial people and share our knowledge and friendship.
NJS
An excellent idea. I would like to second.

Frog in Suit
DITTO
RWS

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:33 pm

Certainly, my vote (am I a member of the Retros?) is in favor.
storeynicholas

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:04 pm

RWS wrote:Certainly, my vote (am I a member of the Retros?) is in favor.
Dear RWS - are you a member indeed!! I think that Costi has some ideas on structure. We do need something, even if shambolic disorganization, sometimes, has charm, it doesn't always get things done.
couch

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:46 pm

Excellent news (olds?). Thanks to Alden and hail to the chief!
RWS wrote:So, gentlemen, where are we? At the point of enquiring as to the cost of having silken neckties (bowties, anyone?) make up in lilac with white pencil stripes descending from the heart every inch or so?
That pattern suits me, as you might imagine. I wonder, if we were to approach David Hober about this project, whether he might be willing to offer the silk in either the necktie or bowtie format, according to the member's preference? I have a feeling he might take an interest. I love the idea of a bowtie, but could wear it so seldom I'd want to begin with a necktie first. RWS, on the other hand, would carry off the bow splendidly.

Should we find such a flexible vendor, is there any reason not to officially recognize both formats?
Frog in Suit

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:35 am

I am with Couch on the necktie/bowtie debate. Before we decide (unless it is already decided and I missed it) on the look (width, spacing) of the stripe, could we see some pictures?

Frog in Suit
alden

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:25 am

Dear Retros,

I have had a few moments to review this thread and have a suggestion for you. First of all, I am not sure what the Retrocentrics club is or is meant to be.

Generally speaking talk of ties and emblems occurs in a club after years of developing content. The choice of form, symbols and emblems, becomes clear as this content unifies members around a common vision and mission. The LL club tie, for example, came into being after about three years of the clubs existence, but the vision statement was there from day one. Get your content in front of the carriage, and worry about the form once you all see it clearly together. Table the tie and get your conversations moving forward.

Cheers from the boardroom

Michael
RWS

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:13 pm

alden wrote:. . . . Get your content in front of the carriage, and worry about the form once you all see it clearly together. Table the tie and get your conversations moving forward. . . .
But, Your Excellency, such movement would be counterretrocession!
storeynicholas

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:06 pm

RWS wrote:
alden wrote:. . . . Get your content in front of the carriage, and worry about the form once you all see it clearly together. Table the tie and get your conversations moving forward. . . .
But, Your Excellency, such movement would be counterretrocession!
Maybe the President of the Board just wants to know what he is heading up here!!
NJS
pvpatty

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:09 am

storeynicholas wrote:Maybe the President of the Board just wants to know what he is heading up here!!
NJS
Well, he is heading up the board, surely?
storeynicholas

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 am

pvpatty wrote:
storeynicholas wrote:Maybe the President of the Board just wants to know what he is heading up here!!
NJS
Well, he is heading up the board, surely?
If I suggest that it is chicken and egg - it simply compounds the situation - of shambolicism - so we need to state a purpose and for that service to us all, I suggest - Costi - sorry, old boy, but you are in the soup. Anyway, this is all your doing - ----------------HIC \HIC
NJS
Frog in Suit

Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:28 am

May I make a suggestion?

"By-laws of the Retrocentrics Club:

Article 1: Purpose and objective of the Club: The Club has no purpose and no objective.

Article 2: Rules. The Club has no rules.

Article 3: Violations of articles 1 and 2: Any member attempting to ascribe a purpose or objective to the Club, or to institute a rule or system of rules, will (or will not) be met by a cold stare of disapproval from other members."

I think that should take care of everything. Are we getting near a consensus on the emblem and colours question?

Frog in Suit
storeynicholas

Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Frog in Suit wrote:May I make a suggestion?

"By-laws of the Retrocentrics Club:

Article 1: Purpose and objective of the Club: The Club has no purpose and no objective.

Article 2: Rules. The Club has no rules.

Article 3: Violations of articles 1 and 2: Any member attempting to ascribe a purpose or objective to the Club, or to institute a rule or system of rules, will (or will not) be met by a cold stare of disapproval from other members."

I think that should take care of everything. Are we getting near a consensus on the emblem and colours question?

Frog in Suit
One would hope that your suggested rules admirably cover every contingency, FiS, as for consensus, I am delighted to report that there has been no progress whatsoever . Seriously, though, how are we to resolve the tie and emblem issues?
NJS
  • Information