Next limited edition at the LL

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
couch

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm inclined to agree with RWS based on nothing more than circumstantial evidence. However, one might imagine alternatives. Bespoke leather bookbindings. Chamber players. Hatters. Arrangers of international house exchanges. I believe Mr. Alden is teasing us in order to create buzz. Watch this space!
storeynicholas

Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:31 pm

couch wrote:I'm inclined to agree with RWS based on nothing more than circumstantial evidence. However, one might imagine alternatives. Bespoke leather bookbindings. Chamber players. Hatters. Arrangers of international house exchanges. I believe Mr. Alden is teasing us in order to create buzz. Watch this space!
He says that cloth and leather are out - so it cannot be book bindings - maybe cologne -

LL 2005
NJS
Jordan Marc

Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Perhaps Michael Alden has a feast for the eyes in mind, such as a limited edition pressing of illustrations from Apparel Arts (a best of the best, as it were), or a portfolio of high-quality drawings of well-dressed men through the ages (suitable for framing to adorn the walls of our dressing rooms). Artwork, vintage luggage and a Wolf male form, if you can find one in your size, are not only decorative but useful, too.

JMB
Guille

Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:52 pm

NJS's cologne and marcelo's fountain pen seem like the best answers yet, as they ARE fundamental for the elegant life (and using this term I'm sure is to mean it's not part of our wardrobe, not even cufflinks etc) and not made of leather or cloth.

However if it were part of a wardrobe, maybe sunglasses (although they are not absolutely fundamental, it is quite apropiate to have a nice elegant pair)...

What about canes and walking sticks? Quite fundamental too...

there's so many possibilities, it makes one wonder how many great things the LL can do...
storeynicholas

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Costi wrote:
le.gentleman wrote:In my opinion neither a cigar nor a humidor are " fundamental for those who have chosen the path of the elegant life". Otherwise, everybody who doesn't smoke would per se not be able to be elegant and that seems a little over the top to me. [...]
Let sleeping dogs lie, lengentleman! :wink:
I've just woken up in my bespoke rush basket and...... :evil:

I've gone back to slee... :lol:

I tend to go with RWS on the wine or olive oil, given the time of year - anyone opening a book on this, by the way?

NJS
Frog in Suit

Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:09 pm

A (proper) haircut (Trumper's, perhaps?).

Frog in Suit
storeynicholas

Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Frog in Suit wrote:A (proper) haircut (Trumper's, perhaps?).

Frog in Suit
How would LL haircuts differ from their regular jiobs - maybe we could have the letters LL shorn on our crowns? :roll:
NJS
Costi

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:13 am

storeynicholas wrote:
Costi wrote:
le.gentleman wrote:In my opinion neither a cigar nor a humidor are " fundamental for those who have chosen the path of the elegant life". Otherwise, everybody who doesn't smoke would per se not be able to be elegant and that seems a little over the top to me. [...]
Let sleeping dogs lie, lengentleman! :wink:
I've just woken up in my bespoke rush basket and...... :evil:

I've gone back to slee... :lol:
There, there - a few strokes on the dog ears (of your favourite bedside table book, of course) and you're back to sleep, on your white cloud of smoke... :)
alden

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:24 am

Well I might need to give you a bit of help as the scent has gone cold.

I believe an uomo elegante needs at least three of them.

You touch them every day but probably do not see them. Some of you even share one from time to time.

Like cloth and leather they take on a patina.

The French artisans were the undisputed masters with the Italians and English not far behind.

You don’t really own one of them; instead, you pass some time in their company. This is particularly true given the fact that you will be the food for worms long before they will.

You should never buy a new one, unless it is bespoken.
RWS

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:59 pm

Well, well. Something of wood, I suppose. Not hairbrushes nor toothbrushes. Nor any other sort of brush. Hmmm . . . .
culverwood

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Which watch?
Tucker Peterson

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:03 pm

My neophyte guess is: Shoe Trees

Tucker
marcelo

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:21 pm

Tucker Peterson wrote:My neophyte guess is: Shoe Trees

Tucker
Welcome to the LL, Tucker Peterson!
Tucker Peterson

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:01 pm

Thank you, Marcelo, I'm planning on making a "new member post" later today, in the Dressing Room, to introduce myself.

Tucker
Guille

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:18 pm

Something wooden or metallic I think. Shoe trees maybe, but do you tocuh them and not see them every day?

Its really hard to guess.....
  • Information