Death Knell for harris Tweed?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Cyclo2000

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:56 pm

I think I'm right in saying that Mr. Haggas' intention is to limit availability of the tweed to his own Company, Brook Taverner, and to make only 5 patterns available in just one style of jacket.
I note that my own tweeds are all Saxony (Saxony being defined as superior quality woollen cloth made from fine merino wool).
http://www.harristweed.com
pam

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:18 pm

I make harris tweed handbags using the brightly coloured tweed and may be able to source some for you if you wish.
Pamela
storeynicholas

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:27 pm

Do you ever see that very bright ,auburn-coloured tweed, in suitable for a country top coat?
NJS
smoothjazzone

Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:20 am

You can still find good Harris Tweed -- in fact, I just got one woven to my specs!

LBD (Harrison's) is working with some folks to come out with an exclusive Harris Tweed range which will probably end up accounting for nearly all the commercially available Harris Tweed
tteplitzmd

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:39 pm

Mr. Smoothjazz, would you comment on the differences between, and relative advantages/disadvantages of Harris vs. Breanish tweeds?
Leonard Logsdail

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Received last week the new LBD HArris Tweed bunch. It's beautiful. 16oz in stead of 28oz

Leonard
tteplitzmd

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:10 pm

Leonard, perhaps you could comment/answer the question I posed re: differences between Harris and Breanish?
smoothjazzone

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:37 pm

Terry:

Apologies for the late response. The key differences that I see are:

> Weight -- Breanish is lighter weight (typically 10-12 oz) vs Harris (typically 16-22 oz. for jacket weight)

> Design -- Ian was a master at mixing colors to create fundamentally new designs that did not previously exist (I once counted 16 separate colors in a plaid jacket that looked quite conservative and original) -- the new Iain has revived many of the older Ian's designs and come up with some new ones that are quite nice -- Harris Tweed is largely available in more or less traditional designs

> Texture: Traditional Harris is rougher in texture and has a certain nice sheen especially when new (possibly due to all the lanolin not having been sucked out during the production process) -- Breanish is more of a matt smooth finish

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

SJ
  • Information