Retrocentrics' Club Emblem and Tie

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

dopey

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Has anyone made an inquiry of Chipp2 on the ties? http://www.chipp2.com/
If not, I can.
storeynicholas

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Why not go right ahead and ask?
NJS
marcelo

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:29 pm

I thought the decision – if any – for a mascot was supposed to be taken in a shambolic decisional process. The option for a Pine Vole instead, or along with, as the case may be, the Tortoise is just part of this process, as I had understood it.
storeynicholas

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:12 pm

Marcello - Exactly - it becomes even more shambolic when there are suggestions that there should, in the very midst of the shambles, be order and progress!!
:twisted:
NJS
Frog in Suit

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:47 pm

Greetings to all and apologies for not responding sooner.

This is a brilliant suggestion and I would like to be part of it. My beloved family and I only returned from America on Saturday morning and I am jetlagged out of what I am pleased to call my mind. Also the two airlines to which we entrusted our lives managed to lose my -- large, heavy, very full, checked -- bag (temporarily, I dare hope).

Would it be too O.T.T. to suggest a vole rampant atop the shell of a tortoise? I already look forward to explaining the hidden significance of that to anyone foolish enough to ask, especially if dim or in their cups... :twisted: Or might one envision a vole standing on one side, a tortoise on the other (à la unicorn and lion) supporting a reversed clock face between the two of them?

Lilac and white does not immediately suggest any resemblance to any club/school/regiment I may be aware of, which of course makes it all the more desirable, not that I know much about such things. I recently came across a site which may be able to supply ties on order: http://www.smartturnout.co.uk/index.htm. Benson & Clegg (http://www.bensonandclegg.com/) may also be able to supply same. I am sure there must be others.

Kind regards to all.

Frog in Suit
storeynicholas

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 pm

FiS - Sorry to hear about the bag; these things sometimes work out all right and I hope that they do here. At least you are all back safe and sound. I have already been in touch with Sam Hober and with Benson & Clegg and they have given me quotes for different types (house and field club ties) and minimum quantities. I will also look at the other supplier which you mention. Concordia kindly started me off on this aspect - and so I have pm'd him on the results and am awaiting his reply. The idea of a full achievement of arms is interesting - especially along the lines suggested!! I see no reason (mere convention aside) why the house club tie should not be in different colours from the field club - allowing for desired motifs on the one and the desired stripes on the other. As Costi pointed out - the clock dial is reversed but we accept that time goes forward! After all, fewer and fewer moderns seem to look to the past at all. It is not lost to us; it is a great gift: "Footprints in the sands of time" on which we may reflect and draw - as also observed in the LL, sifting the past - the sands maybe - for clues and cues as to the spirit of enduring elegance. Not been very active today - re-reading Peter Fleming's Brazilian Adventure - in search of Colonel Percy Fawcett - it is one of the most amusing books that I have read and better the second time around - P G Wodehouse - in the jungle!!
best,
NJS
pvpatty

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:58 am

Why not have the turtle on the house club tie, when we are 'at home', and the pine vole on the field tie? Or, we could combine the two animals onto one, like this:

Costi

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:38 am

Excellent idea - tortoise at home (a home to be taken anywhere) and pine vole on the field! It makes perfect sense.
So the poor retro-swimming and -walking crab, in spite of his qualifications, is out of contest... Well, for one thing, he is not very pretty, but none in the animal kingdom is more "retro" than him. It works well with the others (the pine vole & tortoise) to define the two essential aspects of the retrocentric's attitude: one has come a long way without much change and the other keeps going back whenever it tries to move forward :)
Frog in Suit

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:31 am

In passing, aince there was somewhere recently a conversation about supporting financially the site which generously hosts the occasional and much appreciated research and wisdom of some of the members, in the midst of some others' (mine, for sure) senescent ramblings, might not some portion of the dues be earmarked for such a purpose?

Frog in Suit
storeynicholas

Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:19 am

Fis - that we are all senescent is something that even retrocentrics cannot avoid! P V Patty's idea is a good one - a combination - I particularly like the example which he gives - although, on his tie, the hare is just one creature - it is immobile in one frame and moving in the next and effective and unfussy. :D Maybe one creature could face forward and one back so that they are facing each other? If we have them on the striped field club tie (white and lilac) maybe, the vole could be silver and the tortoise gold? But I am not sure whether the clock fit into this this? Possibly, the clock could be on the house tie?

On the subs issue - I certainly agree that members should contribute to the LL but I am not sure whether the Retrocentric will need much funding - the personal paraphernalia, such as ties, we can buy ourselves; as we are a truly interntional club, permanent premises and staff would seem to be out of the question and, when a couple or more of us meet in one of the great cities of the world, we can just arrange a meeting place and the usual refreshments. Maybe the first two members to meet might be next Tuesday when Marcelo and his Good Lady are meeting my GL and me in RdeJ - although not originally arranged as a club meeting, as such, I am sure that there is now enough of a club to call it a meeting of club members!!.
NJS
PS I HAVE CHECKED WITH THE COLLEGE OF ARMS AND A GRANT OF A FULL ACHIEVEMENT OF ARMS TO A NON-PROFIT-MAKING CORPORATION IS ABOUT £5,000. DO WE WANT TO GO THIS FAR - OR JUST STICK WITH LOGOS?
NJS
pvpatty

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:53 pm

storeynicholas wrote:PS I HAVE CHECKED WITH THE COLLEGE OF ARMS AND A GRANT OF A FULL ACHIEVEMENT OF ARMS TO A NON-PROFIT-MAKING CORPORATION IS ABOUT £5,000. DO WE WANT TO GO THIS FAR - OR JUST STICK WITH LOGOS?
NJS
Good God. Given that we are retrocentrics, can't they quote us a price that doesn't factor in inflation?
storeynicholas

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:02 pm

pvpatty wrote:
storeynicholas wrote:PS I HAVE CHECKED WITH THE COLLEGE OF ARMS AND A GRANT OF A FULL ACHIEVEMENT OF ARMS TO A NON-PROFIT-MAKING CORPORATION IS ABOUT £5,000. DO WE WANT TO GO THIS FAR - OR JUST STICK WITH LOGOS?
NJS
Good God. Given that we are retrocentrics, can't they quote us a price that doesn't factor in inflation?
Ha! I could ask them - but at which point in time would be pitch our request? Anyway, it seems to me that we can use logos of creatures alone without any problem - I am not sure what the sanctions are for bearing bogus (ungranted arms) but best to avoid finding out as the College of Arms still exists and takes its functions quite seriously.
NJS
Costi

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:03 pm

Is this a fee or a fine?
pvpatty

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:27 pm

Costi wrote:Is this a fee or a fine?
Good question.
storeynicholas

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:51 pm

It's just the fee!! However, I see your point!!
NJS
  • Information