Hall Brothers

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

sweetbooness

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:54 pm

Is anyone familiar with an Oxford tailoring firm named Hall Brothers? I wanted to inquire about the quality and style of their work. I do not know if they are even still in business. According to a google search, Ede and Ravenscroft appear to occupy the old Hall Brothers address.

Any information would be appreciated.
Frog in Suit

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:59 pm

For what it's worth (probably not much):

Hall Bros were (are) an old tailoring firm in Oxford. I have no direct knowledge of them.

Possibly (One would need to check) Wesh & Jefferies (Eton) -- which as far as I know have nothing to do nowadays with Welsh & Jefferies on Savile Row, but must have been part of the same firm once) are/were linked to Hall Bros. I think I have an old pair of trousers with a ticket (inside the waist) on which both names appear.

I may be wrong. If so, I apologize. I also realize this is not exactly helpful. I would add that a traditional firm in a place like Oxford may be able to supply very nice tailoring, for probably much less that SR.

Frog in Suit
sweetbooness

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 am

There is no need to apologize. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

By the way, I think your own tailor has done an excellent job from the pictures you have recently posted.
Frog in Suit

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:41 am

Thank you for your compliment.

A check on Yell.com yielded nothing except E & R and another firm. In the same vein, New & Lingwood closed their Cambridge branch some years ago. Few of today's students dress well, I suppose.

Kind regards,

Frog in Suit
jpontin

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:34 pm

I had some white flannels made at Halls Brothers when I was at college in the 80s. They still look lovely; Halls were wonderful tailors.

However, I think they have gone out of business.
Leon

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:46 pm

jpontin wrote:I had some white flannels made at Halls Brothers when I was at college in the 80s. They still look lovely; Halls were wonderful tailors.

However, I think they have gone out of business.
IIRC, when I was up (90s), the Ede & Ravenscroft shop had the Hall Bros. sign up outside.

There was another bespoke tailors further down the High towards Magdalen bridge (now gone). And an Italian tailors in Jericho...

Holdfast might know, or could ask...

Leon
Mark P

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:16 pm

I lived in Oxford for 20 years and knew Hall Brothers well. They made me a tweed suit and I bought the odd shirt and bow tie from them too. Legend has it that they invented Oxford Bags, but I have no evidence for that.

The shop was small, wood panelled and charming. The company and its premises were taken over by Ede & Ravenscroft, who are still there today.

The other great Oxford shop was or is Ducker and Sons shoes. They were on the edge of going out of business when I was last there two years ago. Again, great historic premises and heritage. I even wondered (idly) about the economics of buying the business.
  • Information