Best alterations tailor in Australia

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

BirdofSydney

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:15 am

Gentlemen,

I think the subject is fairly self-explanatory. I have posted this here, rather than in the Australia forum, as a) it gets fairly minimal traffic (nothing since March) and I am in more pressing need of an answer; and b) it is ostensibly something which members resident overseas may nonetheless have some familiarity with.

I have some fairly major surgery that I am contemplating on a jacket of mine, the specifics of which I will show in pictures at a later stage. Suffice to say that it involves re-roping the shoulders, and bringing up the length of the body by about an inch, for starters.

In spite of what my username would suggest, I am presently based in Brisbane. I am unhappy with the standard of alterations here, and my preferred tailor was responsible for the somewhat "limp" shoulders in the first place ("you spilled your camicia all over my spalla," I nearly said). Furthermore, said tailor is not a native English speaker, and I sometimes wonder whether my more complex instructions are actually fully comprehended.

Can anyone recommend an alterations tailor, ideally in Melbourne, as I travel there comparatively often, or indeed in Brisbane, that I may have missed. Sydney is a possibility, though admittedly not an ideal one. Someone who works weekends, or at least Saturdays, is a definite plus in terms of ease of access.

I am in two minds as regards tailors who have significant bespoke experience: on the one hand, their technical skill and understanding ought to be very high; on the other, they may not really be thrilled doing alterations work, or may want to impose their house style into the shoulders, which would further confuse the poor garment!

Thankyou in advance,

Eden
Sammyo77

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:39 am

I know that GA Zink and Sons in Sydney are happy to do alterations even for suits they didn't make. I have also found them to be very willing to listen to what the customer wants in the way of style.
BirdofSydney

Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:12 am

I dug up an old thread on Melbourne bespoke which I'd been hunting for the other day, which recommended Adriano Carbone. This gentleman has potential, and indeed was credited with doing some good reconstruction work in that same thread.

Upon reflection, I need someone with experience building a suit from scratch, as I want to do the following:

The sleeves must be removed entirely. The side seam must be taken in. This will both shrink the armhole a little and change it's shape. That is okay (I think?). Then the sleeve is to be taken in along the bottom seam to match the new armhole, and slim it down generally. Then, finally, the sleeve is reattached with new roping. In effect, it will be like a baste fitting. Voila, an armhole that fits, sides that fit, a sleeve that sits properly, and finally some goddamn roping. After this, bringing the bottom of it up an inch or so is easy by comparison.

The suit in question I probably ought not to have ever bought, but at the time I was in need of a new suit rather direly, that was climate appropriate and the fabric is really nice. There was no time for the MTM wait, and there were no other decent options. I was young and impressionable, and had good experiences with a particular alterations tailor. Yet, the initial alterations made were done poorly, and in particular the cut seems to be too long for the size. This is compounded by my already diminutive frame.

Anyway, I do tend to go on...
Sator

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:27 pm

Someone posted something favourable about this tailor in Melbourne:

Tino at 'American Tailors' 68 Bourke St. Melbourne

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/foru ... hp?t=69642

I live in Sydney so am unable to provide any first hand accounts.
Journeyman

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:02 am

BoS,

Have you tried Bob Schreder of Ashley and Schreder Tailors?

Ashley and Schreder are located on the ground floor of Lennons Hotel, at the top of the Queen St Mall (opposite the Myer Centre). The phone number is 3221 7040.

Bob does bespoke tailoring, as well as repairing or remodelling just about any item of clothing you can show him.

I've had good experiences with him - he was successfully able to remodel a few of my suits when I lost quite a bit of weight. In fact, I think that they look better on me than they did when new, as he introduced a bit more waist suppression as well as making the other alterations.

I'd think it would certainly be worth having a chat with him, if you haven't already.

Cheers,
James
BirdofSydney

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:36 am

Thanks James,

Bob was actually my first port of call, he said that he would be able to do it, but didn't seem too keen. Having worked with Bob a bit now, however, I am confident in his skills so I think that will be the way to go.

I'll let you know how it comes out!

Cheers,

Eden
pvpatty

Fri May 09, 2008 3:02 am

Just got this email, so thought I would resurrect this thread.

Applicable for those of us in Brisbane; the claim about "the most talented and qualified tailor in Australia" sounds like marketing-speak, but here it is.
George Gaydov, our Master Tailor, initially learnt tailoring as a subject at school in Bulgaria and continued to advance in the profession with now over 20 years experience. Joe believes George is the most talented and qualified tailor in Australia and he is available for men's and women's alterations and repairs. Our temporary premises for the next three months will be at the back of our old store. Entrance is via the carpark and through the side door where George will be available Monday to Friday 8am-4pm. We also offer same day service! Just call in or phone to book an appointment.

743 Stanley St
Woolloongabba Qld 4102
Tel: 3391 1111
Fax: 3891 2977
sales@joerichards.com.au
BirdofSydney

Sun May 11, 2008 8:45 am

I too received that email, and had discovered George a little while ago in fact, when purchasing a Borrelli suit.

As to the alteration in question, the specimen was reconstructed quite convincingly by Bob Schreder (though the bugger bulked up the shoulder pads without my asking!). It then proceeded to suffer rather badly at the hands of some drycleaning fluid, a reflection more on the cloth than the cleaner.

In other news, I didn't know we had another Brisbane member, this is most interesting...
pvpatty

Tue May 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Well, I found it rather interesting given that I thought Joe Richards had closed down earlier in the year.
Journeyman

Fri May 16, 2008 1:29 pm

I've heard two, conflicting stories about Joe Richards.
The first is that he was tired of the clothing game and that he was instead going to be more involved in the importation and distribution (with perhaps some retail selling) of fine alcohol and cigars.
The second is that he wants to start manufacturing high quality suiting in Australia, and that he therefore intends to set up his own line or manufacture something here under license. Supposedly, the garments will be quite high end.

I have no idea if either, or neither, story is true.

PVPATTY - a few of us (including Bird of Sydney) meet quite regularly for lunch in Brisbane city. If you are interesting, please get in touch as I'm sure that you would be welcome to come along for a chat.
pvpatty

Fri May 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Journeyman wrote:If you are interesting, please get in touch
Is it poor form to declare oneself as interesting?
RWS

Fri May 16, 2008 2:15 pm

Very good!
BirdofSydney

Sun May 18, 2008 11:54 am

I have nothing to declare...but my genius?
pvpatty

Sun May 18, 2008 12:53 pm

BirdofSydney wrote:I have nothing to declare...but my genius?
Alas, even that is likely to attract some sort of import duty were you to announce it at an airport.
  • Information