Discord at Dege?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

palmer

Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:32 pm

All:

Yesterday, a funny thing happened at the tail end of some posts about T&A neckties: Two members of this forum discussed the time it takes to receive orders from Dege, and it appears that one gentlemen was (recently?) very disappointed at the time it took to receive his order. As a Dege customer myself, I enjoy my relationship with them, and I very much like the shirts and suits they've made for me. But I, too, have noticed a recent decline in their ability to deliver orders in a timely manner. Having read elsewhere that two Dege veterans left for Davies & Son, I wonder whether the departures and delivery delays may be signs of discord at Dege. I certainly hope not, but I would appreciate any insights that all of you may have.

Thank you.

Best regards,
wasser

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:08 pm

I have also been a long time customer and in recent times I have noticed a drop in quality both shirts and suits as well as a ong wait.

Looks like an alternative needs to be found.
tteplitzmd

Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:12 pm

I dropped them years ago. Mr. Whittaker did a good job years ago at the now defunct Bowring & Arundel, but customer service was non existent in my experience at Dege. Quality declined as well, as others have noted. I really don't know why anyone would tolerate this.

Yesterday i visited with Stephen Lachter in New York. Delightful and a much better range of cloths than Dege for shirting. You are also dealing with a guy who is personally involved with all aspects of your order. It is my suspicion that Dege is driven primarily by its Gulf States clientele. So be it. You have a choice of airlines...
dopey

Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:51 am

I was one of those who commented in the other thread.

I have been a customer for maybe a dozen years. My recent complaints relate to shirts not delivered, shirts with mistakes not corrected and emails and phone calls ignored. That is on the shirt side. On the tailoring side, my complaints were really about inconsistency and an indifference to trying to get things right. When the product was good, it was very good, though the make of the shirts had clearly slipped a bit with what must be increased volume.

The recent departures served as a sign for me to follow.
tteplitzmd

Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:32 am

Dopey,

I doubt the decline is related to increased volume. They can't cope with any volume. Indifference is a deadly sin unrelated to work load, in my experience.
rjman

Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:35 pm

tteplitzmd wrote:Dopey,

I doubt the decline is related to increased volume. They can't cope with any volume. Indifference is a deadly sin unrelated to work load, in my experience.
accidie?
Will

Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:46 pm

Indifference is a deadly sin unrelated to work load, in my experience.
Beautifully said.
tteplitzmd

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:40 pm

rjman wrote:

accidie?
sloth or shvachkeit
couch

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:27 pm

tteplitzmd wrote:
rjman wrote:

accidie?
sloth or shvachkeit
Same thing. A sin by any other name . . . .
  • Information